MotoringFile Spotlight: Don Burnside
MotoringFile Spotlight is back from it’s winter slumber with a little taste of southern California. In this edition we’re spotlighting Don Burnside (or db as he’s known in the MINI world):
Hi. My name is Don Burnside and I’m a MINIac, born and raised in Southern California for the last 36 years.
My obsession started in 2002. I was in the market for a new vehicle and nothing was really working for me. On my list were cars ranging from sport coupes to full sized pickups. Then I saw it.
An Electric Blue MINI with a white roof showed up one day at the office parking lot. I stole peeks at the car as often as possible and even went so far as to change how I drove through the lot to make sure I could get a glimpse of it. I started researching this wonderful looking automobile as much as possible and even got bit by the message board bug when I found NorthAmericanMotoring.com (then MCO). I followed others progress and read along as they went through the even so painful process of ordering and finally receiving their MINI.
I finally went down to my local dealer and test-drove a MINI. It was fantastic! My face hurt for 3 days from all of the smiling I had done, and it was only a 10-minute drive. I had to have this car! More research ensued and I returned the following week to ask some questions and drool a little more. They had just received an MCS that they were using as a demo and my guy asked me if I wanted to give that one a go.
I placed my order the next day.
I went back to the message boards to get as much info as I could, but it wasn’t enough! I started collecting links to after market sites, other message boards and owner sites. Not being happy with what I was finding, I started a page of my own, to share with others, cool MINI sites. The site was mildly popular so I started making improvements. I added a chat room. Links to how-tos and even a tutorial on how to track the boat your MINI was on. With help from others at NAM, we assembled a checklist and I added that to the site. Finally, I added blogger to the mix and the result is the start of dbmini.us. Since starting the site, it has gone through more design changes than I can count and a gallery was added.
I finally got my MINI and things started happening pretty fast. I am one of the founding members of Southern California MINI Maniacs (SCMM) and have sat on the board since. Event planning and attending took over and the miles started racking up! Most of it posted at my site too.
Fast forward to today. I am the proud owner of a 2003 Velvet Red MINI Cooper with packages 1, 2 & 3, leather, anthracite trim, K&N Typhoon Intake, Borla Exhaust and 35% tint. That and 80,000 miles! We’ve been through Death Valley, out route 66 to the Grand Canyon, multiple trips to Las Vegas and lots of laps at Buttonwillow Raceway, Pahrump Motorsports Park and Streets of Willow Springs! We’ve been to Solvang in the pouring rain and Carpenteria on a sunny day. And dbmini has evolved into more than just a collection of links and a gallery. It a complete journal of my motoring experiences, with some of the more fun MINI news thrown in for good measure.
Of course, you can read about all of it, from the beginning, at dbmini.us.
Thanks Don! BTW in case you missed a few, you can check out some of our previous Spotlights below:
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- MF Garage: How Important Are The Right Wheels? This Important.
- Harry Hunt Joins MINI Motorsports for Dakar 2016
- International Mini Meet to Take Place in Lithuania This Weekend
- MF Garage: Summer Tires for Our 2015 Cooper S
- Exclusive: MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises
- The MINI JCW In Detail
- Chris Bangle on The Future of Car Design
- What Would You Change About the 2015 MINI JCW?
- 2015 MINI John Cooper Works Reviews Galore
- Official 2015 MINI JCW Mega Gallery
MotoringFile on Instagram
- What Did SCOTT26 Talk About This Week?
- Last Laps Around the ‘Ring for the M2
- World Premiere: BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage
- BMW Unveils the Special Edition BMW 435i ZHP Coupe
- BMW Announces New ConnectedDrive Portal and ConnectedDrive Store
- The 2016 BMW M4 GTS is Coming to the US!
- A Sneak Peak at the Future of BMW Motorsport: The M6 GT3
- BMW Updates the M6 Competition Package with 600HP (w/Gallery)
- BMW Lands on the Podium at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- BMW Prepares for the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- Ask SF: What’s a Good Small Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range