MF Review: Craven Speed Short Shifter & Shift Well Cover
For those interested in the Craven Speed short shift kit, MF Garage Night contributor Ken Endres Just recently installed the short shifter and optional shift well cover in his MINI and gives us the following review.
So you want a quick shift and in style? Craven Speed has the answer. ItÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s their, adjustable, short shifter.
Craven Speed is a well designed and great looking piece. Adjusting the throw is easy and well engineered. You simply turn the collar at the base of the stick and that enables you to go from Sunday smooth to Track Day quick in seconds.
The short shifter accepts your stock shift knob or you can purchase a custom knob to complete the package. You can also have Craven Speed put your favorite logo or the car name on top.
I was interested in the Shift Well Cover and IÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m glad I asked about it because it too is a cool custom piece. It really shows off the shifter with style and (as seen in the picture above) can even be engraved with just about anything you like. I was taking a test ride with an SA and it was the first thing he noticed when he entered the car. ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œThatÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s coolÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â were the words he used to describe it. I have to agree.
Installation of a short shifter designed to replace your stock stick is a bit more involved than other designs but it does the job even better than the original. However I would search the web before you start as the included instructions are good but fall short on a few steps when it comes to removing the stock retaining ring and shift lever.
I installed the shifter the night before a drive and used the shortest setting for the day. This is my first short shifter and I have to say the adjustability is truly an asset.
If you get tired of the short shift setting you can go to a stock throw or, any where in between, in seconds. If by chance someone unfamiliar with a short shifter is going to drive your car, you can set the shifter back to a stock setting with no tools just turn the ring and pull up on the stick.
While the Craven short Shifter is generally a great addition to any car, there are two suggestions that I would make that would set this apart even more from the competition. One; offer an alloy wrench as an option then allow owners to order their name or car name etched onto the handle. Two; offer an even shorter version of this adjustable shifter for the driver that wants the ultimate in short shifters but, will still allow less experienced drivers handle the short shift with ease.
IÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ve seen shorter shifters and if Craven offered this particular design in an even shorter length with (a similar adjustment range) I think they would corner the market on short shifters for MINIs.
For fit, quality and style I give the Craven Speed short shift kit a Motoringfile grade of 4.0. Its well made, great looking, and a fantastic improvement in feel over the stock set-up. Not bad for only $170.
The short shifter is available from Motoringfile sponsor Craven Speed for $169.95.
[ Short Shifter ] Cravenspeed.com
Written By: DB
Sort by MINI model
- World Premier: The 2015 F56 MINI 210 Challenge Edition
- 2015 MINI John Cooper Works: First Drive Live On Periscope
- We Have the F55 MINI Four Door For a Week – What Do you Want to Know?
- Cross-Shopping the F56 JCW with the MkVII Golf R
- MF Garage: Snow & Ice vs the Cooper S (In Praise of Plastic)
- Woofcast #547: Travel Like A Wad Of Cash To The Safe
- MINI Worldwide Sales Up 39% In March 2015
- The Future Of The Auto Industry In One Chart
- The BMW Startup Garage
- World Premier: MINI Augmented Vision Glasses
MotoringFile on Instagram
- BMW Debuts Aluminum Tank for the R nineT
- BMW Worldwide Sales Up 5% In March 2015
- The Future Of The Auto Industry In One Chart
- BMW Group DesignworksUSA Renamed To Designworks
- The 2016 BMW 3 Series LCI Lighting Rendering
- BMW Group Classic At Techno Classica 2015
- Rumor: The Next BMWi Product Will be a Sedan
- BMW Launches Munich Based Business Incubator: The BMW Startup Garage
- Two BMW Winners In The Design Trophy 2015
- BMW Introduces Free Over-The-Air Map Updates on the 2 Series Convertible
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
- Genuine Unveils New Roughhouse Titanium Special Edition
- AACA Museum Features “Motorbikes for the Masses”
- Piaggio Group Recalls 2,600 Vespas For Faulty Fuel Pumps
- Video: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 ABS Wins Midsize Scooter Shootout
- Two Tiny Vespas That Make a Big Impression
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range