Note: The term “classic” is only marketing in this case. The Cooper “Classic” is simply a MINI Cooper offering in Canada with a limited number of options available at a lower price than a standard Cooper.
MINI Canada Press Release: MINI Canada today announced that the MINI Cooper Classic will join the MINI model lineup this summer with a value-leading MSRP of $22,950.
The debut of the MINI Cooper Classic follows the introduction of the new-generation MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S in February, both arriving with pricing unchanged from their predecessor 2006 models. The MINI Cooper Classic, reborn for 2007, not only incorporates all of the new elements and improvements of the new-generation MINI family, but eclipses its predecessor with a lower starting price and an even more comprehensive list of specifications.
Upgraded standard equipment on the 2007 MINI Cooper Classic now includes:
* Automatic Stability Control + Traction
* Multifunction Steering Wheel
* Passenger Seat Height Adjustment
* Unique to the Classic Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 15″ 5-Star wheels with all season tires
Available options on the MINI Cooper Classic include a Premium Package, including Heated Front Seats and Front and Rear Fog Lights at $600 and the 6-Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic for $1,390.
The MINI Cooper Classic is available in four colors: Chili Red, Pepper White and two new choices Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Mellow Yellow and Oxygen Blue which team up with Carbon Black Leatherette upholstery and Fine Silver trim.
Like both of its MINI Cooper and Cooper S stablemates, the 2007 MINI Cooper Classic brings a host of innovations and new features to its specification sheet, including:
* A new 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine with fully variable valve timing technology developing a maximum output of 118 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and maximum torque of 114 ft-lb. @ 4,250 rpm. Mated to a standard 6-speed manual transmission, the new MINI Cooper Classic is capable of acceleration from 0-100 km/h in 9.1 seconds. It also sips fuel at a miserly 5.4 L/100 km (highway)/7.3 L/100 km (city), making it eligible for a $1000 rebate in the Federal Government’s ecoRebate program.
* New EPAS Electrical Power Assisted Steering provides speed-variable power assistance which maintains traditional go-kart-like MINI agility while optimizing steering effort at low speeds.
* Electronic ignition key fob with push-button starting.
* Ambient interior lighting that provides unique cabin illumination options – variable in five stages from warm orange to sporting blue.
* Auxiliary audio input.
* SIRIUS Satellite radio pre-wiring.
With its well-established reputation for go-kart like handling, tenacious braking, crisp acceleration, all-season capability and pure FUN, the MINI family has also been engineered for premium levels of passive safety. Like all other variants of the new MINI generation, the 2007 MINI Cooper Classic is equipped with an Advanced Head Protection System, six airbags with SMART deployment technology, collapsible tube crash technology, and three-point inertia-reel seat belts on all four seats.
In April of 2007, the new generation MINI achieved the highest possible 5-star rating for passive safety from the European (NCAP) New Car Assessment Program, confirming the MINI as one of the safest vehicles in its segment.
The MINI Cooper Classic reachs MINI showrooms starting in July.