Update: the US bound WC50 does not have the navigation included as it is everywhere else in the world. To us this makes the car slightly less of the good deal it was before and not quite as desirable.
Last year MINI introduced the ultimate JCW at MINI United at Silverstone with the WC50. Short for World Championship 50, the limited edition model includes a unique Connaught green exterior paint job with loads of one-off trim both inside and out. It’s truly the most remarkable looking new MINI we’ve ever seen at MF.
Initially we were told that a US allotment wasn’t in the cars due to production being capped at 250. However when MINI doubled production MINI USA started to ask US dealers if they’re be interested in the car. Apparently the feedback was positive enough that MINI USA has decided to import 50 cars to dealers that specifically requested the WC50. That means this will be the most limited edition MINI model ever – much more rare than even the GP. However that also means that if you’re not on a list or haven’t expressed interest in the car through a dealer, it may be hard to get one.
Since the WC50 is essentially a hand built JCW taken off the line at Oxford and finished elsewhere, the entire allotment should arrive in stages throughout April.
Initially pricing was expected to be close to the unthinkable mark of $50,000. However MINI USA pricing these (can we say aggressively?) at $39,600. Combined with the $700 shipping fee each JCW WC50 comes with the total is $40,300. While we’re sure there will be debate over the merits of the car versus the price, it doesn’t seem to matter all that much. We believe these cars will sell-out without much drama over the course of the next few months. But if you want to look at pricing critically, you’ll quickly realize that, to order a MINI with all of these options (sans the one-off components and trim) the final cost would be at least a few thousand over the $40k mark. In our minds MINI has pricing the WC50 as fair as possible given option costs.
- Anthracite Headlining
- Automatic Air Conditioning
- Bluetooth Telephone Audio Connection
- Chrome Line Interior
- Color Line, Rooster Red
- Comfort Access
- Front Fog Lamps
- Full Bluetooth Preparation with USB Audio
- Harman Kardon Hi-Fi System
- Heated Front Seats
- Multi-function Controls for Steering Wheel
- Navigation System
- Park Distance Control (PDC), rear
- Voice Control
- White Indicators
Special Edition Content:
- 17″ Cross-Spoke Challenge Alloy Wheels in Jet Black
- Additional Driving Lights, Black
- Bi-Xenon Lights with Black Interior Reflectors
- Bonnet Stripes in Pepper White without Pin-Stripes, with John Cooper Signature on – – Driver’s Side
- John Cooper Works 3-Spoke Sport Alcantara/Leather Steering Wheel
- John Cooper Works Aerodynamic Kit
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Bonnet Scoop
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Front Door Grips
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Interior Trim with John Cooper Signature Plaque
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Mirror Caps
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser
- John Cooper Works Carbon Fibre Tailgate Handle
- John Cooper Works Floor Mats, Carbon Black with Red Stitching
- Leather Gearshift Gaiter, Carbon Black with Red Stitching
- Leather Handbrake Gaiter, Carbon Black with Red Stitching
- Side Scuttle Finisher Chrome Frame with Edition Number (0-250)