Steve Jobs Changed Our World
It’s rare when someone affects our lives as much as Stve Jobs has. Whether you have an iPhone in your pocket or not, Steve Jobs has defined our technological present and future more than any one man in the world. And today he passed away at a young 56.
When the iPod Mini was released, Steve said Apple was inspired by the minimalist design of the MINI itself. He thought the MINI was cool because it was small. Less is more was the idea and the iPod Mini delivered on that in a new smaller form-factor. Why does it matter to us? Because here was a man that created the future by looking at what was around him. In this case it was the MINI that inspired his team. In other cases it was the button on a Lecia Camera. Whatever the situation was, Steve took what was right in the world and created something inspired and new. And ultimately something that changed the world in which we live.
Steve and the people at Apple have inspired automakers like MINI and BMW to create in different and distinctive ways. MINI Connected and BMW ConnectedDrive are here (more or less) due to Apple. But you could go further in saying that BMW’s recent gamble and total re-think of it’s brand with BMWi is more inline with Apple’s re-invention (and Steve Job’s mantra of ‘Stay Foolish’) than anything from BMW in its history. And one could make the argument that the closest automotive equivalent to what Apple has done recently is actually the launch of the original Mini in 1959.
In any case, Steve, we will miss you greatly.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules.
And they have no respect for the status quo.
You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things.
They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire.
They push the human race forward.
Maybe they have to be crazy.
How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?
We make tools for these kinds of people.
While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
- Steve Jobs
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- A Day Out at the Autobahn Country Club
- MOTOR Magazine Names JCW GP its 2013 Best “Bang for Your Bucks”
- MINI Sales up 3.3% Worldwide for April
- Videos: MINIs on the ‘Ring
- The Latest F56 Spy Photos Reveal New Details
- MINI Unveils Roberto Cavalli Designed Paceman for Life Ball 2013
- MINI: ReBorn in the Netherlands
- MINI Continues to Dominate FIA Cross Country
- 300+ HP From MINI’s New 3 Cylinder Possible According to BMW M
- Old vs New: Two Generations of JCW GPs Compared in Photos
- RideApart Reviews the BMW F 800 GT
- BMW & Pininfarina Tease the Gran Lusso Coupé
- 2014 BMW M5 Facelift Leaks out Early
- BMW M5 Sets World Drift Record
- Video and Gallery: The New F 800 GS Adventure
- The BMW M3: All Four Generations (E30, E36, E46, E92) At The Track
- Video: Ariel Atom vs Rallycross Citroen vs BMW HP4
- BMW Motorrad Sales up 11.5% Worldwide. Best Sales Month Ever.
- BMW Posts Another Month of Record Sales Worldwide
- The All Electric i3 will Cost Around $40k. Would you Consider it?
- A New, Responsive Vespa.com
- Recapping the Chicago Genuine “Family Reunion” Ride
- Video: Honda Bringing the 125cc Grom to the USA in August
- Honda Bringing the Forza 300 Maxi-scooter to the USA
- Custom Ruckus: The LV Project
- Video: Using Special Effects to Encourage Safety
- Photos: Craze Custom Cub
- Haynes Now Offering Lambretta Manual
- Happy Birthday, Audrey Hepburn
- Video: Looking Back at the Vespa 946 Debut
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range