MINI Launches the Next Wave of In-Car Entertainment with MOG
Today BMW takes the wraps off of their new MOG integration that ads a subscription-supported music streaming service to BMWs and MINIs. Like Spotify and unlike Pandora, MOG is a $10 a month service that gives you ad free music based on your preferences. The app integrates with both BMWs and MINI much like Pandora, via the iOS app and through either MINI Connected or BMW Apps. But it’s the details that make MOG so appealing.
As we reported last spring when the beta version first appeared, MOG allows users to store their MOG music on their phone, enabling access to their favorite titles even when a data connection is not available. To help them find music MOG offers patent-pending “MOG Mobius” music discovery engine, which enables users to switch between true “artist only” radio or a full mix of similar artists. How does it sound? To our ears pretty much perfect thanks to the 320kbps quality of each track.
Look for more audio integration options as well as updated functionality from MINI Connected and BMW Apps in 2012.
Official Release: BMW and MOG today announced availability of MOG’s award winning on-demand music service in all 2011 BMW vehicles equipped with the BMW Apps and MINI Connected option in the US. This is the first integration of an on-demand music service in the car, transforming the way music fans listen to music on the road and expanding the number of places music lovers can enjoy the ultimate music listening experience.
After becoming a MOG Primo customer, MINI or BMW drivers simply need to launch the new version of the MOG app on their vehicle-connected iPhone and MOG will immediately appear in the Apps-enabled infotainment system, giving music lovers instant access to MOG’s vast catalog of over 13 million songs.
“The partnership with MOG is another great step for BMW Apps, as we continue to listen to our customers and work to assess, develop and launch the apps they want most more quickly than ever before” said Rob Passaro Head of the BMW AppCenter.
“It is a real thrill to be the first on-demand music service in the car, and to truly transform a powerful, personal environment for experiencing music,” said David Hyman, CEO of MOG. “This will make it fast and easy for drivers to enjoy the music they love, uninterrupted and unlimited, while maintaining their focus on the road,” Hyman added.
“People listen to music more while driving than anywhere else, so it was critical for us to offer MOG in the car,” said Drew Denbo, SVP of Business Development at MOG. “BMW has been an incredible partner on this journey and we’re excited to finally bring this unique experience to fruition for the most avid auto and music lovers in the US.”
The MOG iPhone app enables the following capabilities in the BMW Apps infotainment systems:
On-demand streaming: Unlimited, ad-free listening to any artist, album, or song at any time from virtually anywhere.
Seamless integration: Easy to browse and search, play, re-play, or skip to your favorite songs using the vehicle’s existing infotainment controller and steering wheel controls.
Storage: MOG will allow users to store their MOG music on their phone, enabling access to their favorite titles even when a data connection is not available.
MOG radio: Only MOG offers patent-pending “MOG Mobius” music discovery engine, which enables users to switch between true “artist only” radio or a full mix of similar artists.
Curated content: Users will have access to New Releases, Editor’s Picks, Top Songs, Featured Playlists, and Featured Radio in addition to their own tagged songs from within the MOG music service.
Highest quality audio: MOG downloads music at 320kbps, providing the highest quality listening experience.
To enable the MOG on-demand service in the vehicle, BMW customers will need to become MOG Primo subscribers and use version 188.8.131.52 or later of the MOG iPhone app. Additional information and Getting Started guides are available at www.bmwusa.com/apps. Customers can go to www.mog.com/bmw to sign up for MOG Primo plans.
MOG offers a $9.99 per month MOG Primo subscription plan, which provides subscribers with access to MOG for unlimited, on-demand listening access online at MOG.com, through the MOG app on iPhone and Android phones, through compatible CE devices from major manufacturers such as Boxee, Roku, Sonos, Squeezbox, LG, and Samsung, all via a single MOG account.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- MINI USA April Sales: Up 25% with the New Five Door Killing the Countryman
- Five Facts that Make the Five Door MINI
- Internet Giant Alibaba has Begun Selling MINIs Online
- Former MINI Chief of Design Introduces New Concept
- Life360 App Now Available for MINI Connected
- Woofcast #548: Test Drives are Broken for Guys Like Us
- The Last R59 MINI Roadsters Are Being Made As We Speak
- The World’s First MINI Designed Surfboard
- MINI USA Recalls 92,000 MINIs for Airbag Faults
- World Premier: The 2015 F56 MINI 210 Challenge Edition
MotoringFile on Instagram
- Rumor: BMW Approves the M7
- Rumor: BMW Cancels the i8s, M8, Z2, 9 Series Coupe While Green-lighting the i5
- BMW April Sales: Up 7%
- Event: BMWCCA at the Autobahn Country Club
- BMWUSA Announces Personnel Changes
- 5 Facts after 1,200 Miles in the BMW 428i Gran Coupe
- The 2016 G11 7 Series iDrive With Gesture Control Demoed
- BMW Celebrates it’s Motorsports Programs ahead of the 2015 DTM Season
- Impressive Fightback from BMW at the Rain-soaked Nordschleife
- Meet the new 2016 BMW 340i
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
- Genuine Unveils New Roughhouse Titanium Special Edition
- AACA Museum Features “Motorbikes for the Masses”
- Piaggio Group Recalls 2,600 Vespas For Faulty Fuel Pumps
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range