Interview: MINI Ready To Win Dakar
[Via: MINI Motorsports] Nine victories at the Rally Dakar are on Stéphane Peterhansel’s impressive score card for the most challenging rally in the world. As ambitious as the 45 year old Frenchman is while in action, privately he is a laid-back, sometimes even shy person in his hometown Montana, Switzerland. But as the Dakar 2012 approaches he becomes increasingly focussed again.
Before Peterhansel and the X-raid Team are on their way to South America shortly after the holiday season, the winningest Dakar driver spoke about the upcoming tasks at hand.
Full interview after the break.
Stéphane, this year you are looking for your tenth overall victory at the Dakar. Does that make the 2012 Dakar a special event for you?
Stéphane Peterhansel: To be honest, this is not a particularly unusual situation for me. Today, a couple of weeks before the start, everything is as it always is. I am very motivated and desperate for the next win. It doesn’t really matter whether it is the seventh, eighth or tenth victory.
The route has seen sweeping changes and a third country has been added to the Dakar, in the form of Peru. Will this be the most difficult Dakar ever?
Stéphane: No, not at all. It might be the toughest in South America. However, 15 or 20 years ago the Dakar lasted three weeks and the stages were much longer. That will always remain the benchmark.
What are you most looking forward to, and what are you not looking forward to?
Stéphane: Firstly, it is a new Dakar. We are driving from one point to another, and no longer in a big loop around Buenos Aires. Secondly, I am really looking forward to the new country, Peru. The Dakar is not just about competing against one another, but also about discovering new landscapes. I am looking forward to that, as I have never been to Peru. I can’t think of anything bad about the rally.
The MINI ALL4 Racing has performed well all year. What makes it so perfect for the Dakar?
Stéphane: The team has done a very good job all year. The MINI’s handling is very good, and it is fun to drive. I think it is ready to win. The MINI is easy to drive, and yet also quick, particularly in corners. I also like the look of the car. It is actually the best looking car I have ever driven at the Dakar.
Who is your biggest rival at the 2012 Dakar?
Stéphane: Besides my team-mates, who are very strong this year, I see Nasser Al Attiyah as a big rival. We always knew that the Hummer is quick, even with Robby Gordon at the wheel. Nasser has taken it to another level. However, the list also includes Giniel de Villiers. He is very quick, and the car is very good. There are certainly five or six drivers who could win the Dakar.
How would you describe your team-mates in the X-raid team?
Stéphane: Nani is an extremely open character, who gets on well with everyone. He laughs a lot and enjoys being in contact with people. I have only known Krzysztof for about a year. He is very fair and has a good attitude. It is good to have someone like him in the team. From a driving point of view he is very good, and capable of pushing a car to the limit. I have known Leonid for two or three years and he is always in a good mood. Like Krzysztof, he is very fair and has a good approach. Ricardo is just a funny guy. He always thinks positively and is always happy to be able to compete in a rally. All in all, we have a great team.
Written By: Nathaniel Salzman
Sort by MINI model
- World Premier: Refreshed 2015 MINI Countryman
- White Roof Radio #507
- MotoringFile’s Longterm JCW Roadster For Sale
- The 2015 MINI Clubman Hits the ‘Ring
- Exclusive: An Early Look at the 2nd Generation 2018 MINI Countryman
- MINI Final Final Test Drive Winner Announced
- White Roof Radio #506
- MotoringFile Review: The 2014 MINI Cooper Manual
- MINI’s Final Test Test Drive Videos are Up and They Are Hilarious
- (UPDATED WITH OFFICIAL STATEMENT) MINI USA Delaying all Cooper Deliveries Due to Defect
MotoringFile on Instagram
- BMW i3 Production Increases at Leipzig Factory
- Premier: BMW 228i Coupe with Track Handling Package
- BMW Investigating Building 3 Series Plant in North America
- BMW Team RLL Race Results at Long Beach
- BMW Team RLL Qualifies Second and Third at Long Beach
- Video: BMW M235i More Than a Bargain M?
- BMWi Video: The Carbon Fiber Journey
- World Debut: BMW X5 eDrive Concept
- BMW Voluntarily Recalls 156,137 Vehicles to Fix Variable Camshaft Issue
- Comparing the M235i to the M36 M3
- Three Houston Scooterists To Run the Cannonball for Cancer Charity
- Piaggio Group Worldwide Profits Plunged in 2013
- Opinion: Will the Vespa Sprint Hurt 946 Sales?
- Yamaha Unveils the Tricity 3-wheel Scooter
- Vespa Officially Announces the 2015 Sprint
- Video: A Baja Vespa Surf Adventure
- The Piaggio / Vespa Rumor Roundup
- Review: Hands-on With the Genuine Buddy 170i Brit Special Edition
- BMW Recalls C-Series Scooters Over Side Stand Switch Issue
- Review: 2014 Stella 125 Automatic First Ride
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range