MINI Finishes 2nd at the Legendary Monte Carlo Rally
After a somewhat tumultuous off-season for the MINI WRC team that saw its driver line-up cut in half, Dani Sordo managed to bring the WRC Countryman all the way up to 2nd place after a grueling Monte Carlo rally.
Official News via MINI Motorsports: The second place overall scored by Dani Sordo and co-driver Carlos del Barrio on the Rally Monte Carlo means the MINI WRC Team has kicked off its 2012 campaign in style.
The MINI WRC Team continued seamlessly into 2012 after scoring two promising podium places during its 2011 learning and preparation year by impressively announcing its presence in the 2012 World Rally Championship. Dani Sordo in the number 37 MINI John Cooper Works WRC emphatically proved the performance of the car in the classic Rally Monte Carlo with a fine second place, simultaneously underscoring the winning spirit which reigns within the entire MINI WRC Team.
On the last special stage of the Rally Monte Carlo Dani Sordo ensured a perfect start to the season for his team. With the fourth fastest time on the 5,16 kilometre Powerstage he secured second place overall, having successfully fended off the advances of protagonist Petter Solberg, who had set three fastest times on the previous day to close within 19,1 seconds of Dani. At the finish Dani’s advantage over Solberg amounted to 28,7 seconds, with Sébastien Leob taking overall victory.
“To score a podium place on the Rally Monte Carlo is always something special,” said Dani at the finish. “We had to push hard towards the end, but the result proved well worth the effort.” After places three and two on last season’s Rallys Germany and France respectively, this result marks Dani’s third podium for the MINI WRC Team, bringing his career total to 32 in 92 starts. He has scored 19 second places, and 13 third overalls.
Team principal Dave Wilcock, too, was delighted by the performance delivered by the team on the opening round of the new WRC season. “We are very pleased with this result, and it is pretty special to come second in the Rally Monte Carlo with the MINI John Cooper Works WRC, particularly given the brand’s very successful history here,” said Wilcock. In the 60s the “Three Musketeers”, namely Paddy Hopkirk, Timo Mäkinen and Rauno Aaltonen, claimed three Rally Monte Carlo Rally victories with the classic Mini Cooper S to create a sensation in international rallying.
“Well done to Dani and Carlos. they did a great job,” added Wilcock. “Pierre and Sabrina delivered a good, solid job too. The team has worked hard. This means that their success is well deserved.” Pierre and his co-driver Sabrina de Castelli made their debut for the MINI WRC Team with the number 52 MINI WRC after Pierre made his WRC debut on the Rally France, placing a classified ninth overall on home soil in a privately-entered MINI.
Two privateer MINI WRC crews also celebrated positive results on the Rally Monte Carlo. Portugal’s Armindo Araujo finished tenth for his own WRC team to score a point in the opening round of the championship. Brazilian Paulo Nobre placed a classified 20th for Team Palmeirinha Rally in his MINI WRC.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- MF Garage: How Important Are The Right Wheels? This Important.
- Harry Hunt Joins MINI Motorsports for Dakar 2016
- International Mini Meet to Take Place in Lithuania This Weekend
- MF Garage: Summer Tires for Our 2015 Cooper S
- Exclusive: MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises
- The MINI JCW In Detail
- Chris Bangle on The Future of Car Design
- What Would You Change About the 2015 MINI JCW?
- 2015 MINI John Cooper Works Reviews Galore
- Official 2015 MINI JCW Mega Gallery
MotoringFile on Instagram
- What Did SCOTT26 Talk About This Week?
- Last Laps Around the ‘Ring for the M2
- World Premiere: BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage
- BMW Unveils the Special Edition BMW 435i ZHP Coupe
- BMW Announces New ConnectedDrive Portal and ConnectedDrive Store
- The 2016 BMW M4 GTS is Coming to the US!
- A Sneak Peak at the Future of BMW Motorsport: The M6 GT3
- BMW Updates the M6 Competition Package with 600HP (w/Gallery)
- BMW Lands on the Podium at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- BMW Prepares for the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- Ask SF: What’s a Good Small Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range