MINI at the NYC Auto Show
[Official Release] A fascinating retrospective and lots of promising future perspectives mark the appearance of the premium brand MINI at the New York International Auto Show (April 6th – 15th 2012). MINI was launched on the US automobile market ten years ago – the start of a rapid success story which led from the first premium small car to a family which has since grown to include six different models – now to be enriched with an additional member presented at the New York Auto Show itself. The tradition-steeped trade fair not only celebrates the brand’s US anniversary but also sees the world premiere of the MINI John Cooper Works Countryman.
Prior to the New York International Auto Show, Dr. Kay Segler, Senior Vice President MINI Brand Management, also announced the world premiere of a limited-edition motorsport model at the MINI United Festival in May in Le Castellet, France. Visitors to the meeting of the worldwide MINI Community will get to see the MINI John Cooper Works GP there for the first time. With a particularly high-performance turbo engine, racing-oriented suspension technology and exclusive, aerodynamically optimized body components, the MINI John Cooper Works GP follows in the footsteps of its predecessor, which caused a stir back in 2005 as the most powerful and the fastest road-approved MINI at the time. US premiere: the MINI John Cooper Works Countryman.
The MINI John Cooper Works Countryman lines up for the start as an extremely sporty version of the first five-door MINI with four or five seats. For the first time, MINI merges the racing passion of a John Cooper Works model with the all-wheel drive system ALL4. “This is a remarkable automobile in many ways: it is the biggest MINI with the most powerful engine, it is fitted with all-wheel drive and it is the first John Cooper Works model to feature automatic transmission,” says Dr. Kay Segler.
The MINI John Cooper Works Countryman is powered by a newly developed 4-cylinder engine with Twin Scroll turbocharger, direct petrol injection and variable valve control. The 1.6 liter engine delivers 160 kW/218 bhp (208 hp in the USA) and generates a maximum torque of 280 Newton meters, which can be temporarily increased to 300 Newton meters using the overboost function. In combination with all-wheel drive, this makes for extreme driving fun over every terrain. The MINI John Cooper Works Countryman accelerates in 7.0 seconds from zero to 100 km/h. Its standard fittings include an aerodynamic kit, 18-inch light alloy wheel rims, a sports chassis including lowered suspension, a sports exhaust system with chrome tailpipe trim and exclusive design features for both exterior and interior.
Special model for the USA: MINI 10 Years Anniversary.
The second world premiere at the Auto Show in New York is dedicated to the tenth anniversary of MINI on the US automobile market. The MINI 10 Years Anniversary was designed especially for customers in the USA. Based on the MINI Cooper, the 121 hp 4-cylinder anniversary model expresses the pioneering spirit of the first premium small car as it set out to take the USA by storm. “As you would expect, it is available in three paint finishes: red, white and blue – the three colors which make up the national flag of the USA,” says Dr. Kay Segler.
In addition, MINI also presents three new vehicle characters at the New York International Auto Show based on the MINI and the MINI Convertible. Their exclusive design and equipment features give each of them a highly expressive and distinctive personality. The MINI Baker Street embodies the brand’s youthful, innovative and trend-setting style. The qualities particularly featured in the MINI Bayswater are athletic flair and a special talent for agile handling. The third model is the MINI Convertible Highgate, which expresses exclusivity and a modern interpretation of British style.
Special thanks to Bryan from Kilometer Magazine for the photography
Written By: MF Staff
Sort by MINI model
- MF Garage: How Important Are The Right Wheels? This Important.
- Harry Hunt Joins MINI Motorsports for Dakar 2016
- International Mini Meet to Take Place in Lithuania This Weekend
- MF Garage: Summer Tires for Our 2015 Cooper S
- Exclusive: MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises
- The MINI JCW In Detail
- Chris Bangle on The Future of Car Design
- What Would You Change About the 2015 MINI JCW?
- 2015 MINI John Cooper Works Reviews Galore
- Official 2015 MINI JCW Mega Gallery
MotoringFile on Instagram
- What Did SCOTT26 Talk About This Week?
- Last Laps Around the ‘Ring for the M2
- World Premiere: BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage
- BMW Unveils the Special Edition BMW 435i ZHP Coupe
- BMW Announces New ConnectedDrive Portal and ConnectedDrive Store
- The 2016 BMW M4 GTS is Coming to the US!
- A Sneak Peak at the Future of BMW Motorsport: The M6 GT3
- BMW Updates the M6 Competition Package with 600HP (w/Gallery)
- BMW Lands on the Podium at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- BMW Prepares for the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- Ask SF: What’s a Good Small Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range