MINI Stars Deliver a lot of Action
[Official Release from MINI Motorsport] The 2012 motorsport season is already well under way and MINI is very much part of the action, both on the circuits and in numerous rallies.
There is already a great deal happening on the MINI Stars world map, proving that the motorsport season is now beginning to hot up – on the circuits and in rallies alike.
In the USA, RSR Motorsports has already got off to a good start in the new season of the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. The RSR Motorsports drivers are generally faced with a David and Goliath scenario in this national racetrack series when they line up in their streamlined MINI Cooper S cars alongside the more beefy brands such as Porsche, Aston Martin and Chevrolet.
Team manager Randy Smalley put a seasoned pair of drivers, Ron Farmer and Jason Hart, into the opening race of the season in Daytona, then upped the number of MINI cars to three for the second race in Birmingham, Alabama. And the team’s two newcomers, Corey Fergus and Kyle Gimple, surprised everyone straight away by achieving the best result in the race for RSR Motorsports, finishing in 39th place in a field of 78 first-class starters.
MINI Challenge kick-off in Brazil.
Meanwhile, the entrants in the MINI Challenge in Brazil need not worry about facing any Goliaths in the 2012 season, as this club racing series, which is in Brazil for the third time this year, is only open to identical MINI John Cooper Works Challenge cars. There is nevertheless plenty of excitement during the event because the field of starters is evenly matched and the races are often only clinched in their dying moments.
The first race of the season was held in São Paulo. With the reigning champion Patrick Gonçalves absent, Raphael Abbate was able to keep the upper hand in his MINI Challenge with start number 26 and has provisionally occupied the top spot in the overall classification.
Snijers celebrates second place in Belgium.
Moving from circuits to rallies and from America to Europe, we now go to Belgium, where Patrick Snijers is chasing a title in the national rally championship there in his MINI John Cooper Works WRC. In the second event of the season, Patrick pushed his MINI WRC to achieve second place, and put the icing on the cake by recording the best time in the final stage. After some teething problems with the set-up of their MINI WRC on wet roads, Patrick and his co-pilot Johan Gitsels steadily improved throughout the event, just failing to clinch first place, which went to Pieter Tsjoen in a Citroen.
In Ireland, meanwhile, Derek McGarrity and his co-pilot James McKee came third in the national rally championship, which counts towards the Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC). There was little scope for Derek, who secured a victory in the 2012 Bishopscourt Stages Rally in mid-March, to do any better than third this time, primarily because of an issue with the brakes which cost the Irish duo some time at the beginning of the event, but which was nevertheless rectified quickly.
And lastly, a new star was added to the MINI Stars world map over Easter when Halem Ates and his co-pilot Volkan Bacak made their debut in a MINI John Cooper Works S2000 in the 22nd Eger Rally in Turkey. The Turkish duo driving for the private “Team 47” ultimately finished in eleventh place. You will find more information on the MINI Stars here.
Written By: MF Staff
Sort by MINI model
- Secret BMW Hydrogen Program Revealed
- BMW Previews Turbo Water Injection MINI’s Three Cylinder Engine
- MINI USA Sales Up 14.8% in June 2015
- MINI Hardtop Wins Auto Express Premium Small Car Award
- Woofcast #556: The Clubman Show
- 2017 Countryman Spotted on the ‘Ring (Video)
- A Sneak Peek at the Clubman JCW Package
- A Tribute to the MINI R58 Coupe (Video)
- 2015 JCW at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- MINI’s New Identity and Brand Strategy is All About Minimalism
MotoringFile on Instagram
- BMW USA Sales Up 6.5% in June 2015
- Secret BMW Hydrogen Program Revealed
- The F82 M4 Beats the E92 M3’s Nurburgring Time – By A lot
- BMW Team RLL Survives to Finish on the Podium at the Glen
- An Inside Look at How BMW Camouflages its Prototypes
- Video: Watch the R1200 Engine Assembly Process
- Deconstructing the BMW Concept Path 22
- Do You Need More than a 3 Series Diesel?
- BMW Team RLL – Sahlen’s Six Hour of the Glen Preview + The M6 GT3 Debuts
- New in the BF Garage: BMW G650 GS
- Gogoro Electric Scooter on Pre-Order in Taiwan
- Recap: Amerivespa 2015 — Indianapolis, IN
- Scooter Vagabonding. Man Quits His Job, Rides Ruckus 30k Miles. (video)
- Change.org Petition Aims to Ban All Motorcycles In Hawaii
- Genuine Debuts New Buddy Color: Titanium Gloss
- Review: Vespa GTS 300 ABS by Just Gotta Scoot
- Ask SF: What’s the Best First Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range