Dakar: MINI Still Leading After Stage Twelve
Official News from MINI Motorsport: Stéphane Peterhansel in the MINI ALL4 Racing defends his lead on the twelfth stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally to take a step closer to his eleventh overall victory.
This year’s Dakar Rally has finally moved into its crucial stage, with Saturday deciding the winner of the world’s toughest rally. However, two stages totalling 596 competitive kilometres still remain to be mastered. On Thursday Stéphane Peterhansel, driving the green MINI ALL4 Racing, moved yet another step towards clinching his eleventh career Dakar victory.
The thirteenth day of the rally led the competitors back into Chile from Argentina via a route totalling 715 kilometres between Fiambalá and Copiapó, with 319km making up the day’s competitive section. After Wednesday’s stage was curtailed after torrential flooding forced the stage to be scored as at the first checkpoint, Stéphane started the day in sixth place. However, the Frenchman quickly got into his stride, mastering the stage without problems.
The day was not, though, a cakewalk: The first part of the stage took in the 4700 metres Paso de San Francisco over the Andes, the very section which had been cancelled in 2012 due to heavy snow falls. Thereafter the route was rough and rocky before reaching the extended dunes of the Atacama Desert, familiar to the competitors from this year’s opening week.
Three MINI ALL4 Racing in the Top 5. Stéphane X-raid Team team-mates, Nani Roma and Leonid Novistkiy, put in equally impressive performances. On Wednesday Leonid found himself one of the victims of the floods: Strong rain caused the rivers to overflow, with a host of drivers needing to be rescued from the resultant mud. However, Leonid managed to continue in the orange MINI ALL4 Racing, and currently occupies fourth place overall.
Nani finds himself in an even better position: The Spaniard now lies third, ahead of Leonid. Friday’s schedule features the penultimate stage, which takes the Dakar entourage from Copiapó to La Serena via a tricky desert route. The fine sand hides jagged rocks, contact with which can quickly spell immediate retirement.
The 13th stage starts at 12:18 local Chilean time. The latest news is available on Twitter.com/MINImotorsport and Facebook.com/MINImotorsport.
Top 5 (after stage 12):
2. de Villiers
Written By: Nathaniel Salzman
Sort by MINI model
- MF Garage: How Important Are The Right Wheels? This Important.
- Harry Hunt Joins MINI Motorsports for Dakar 2016
- International Mini Meet to Take Place in Lithuania This Weekend
- MF Garage: Summer Tires for Our 2015 Cooper S
- Exclusive: MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises
- The MINI JCW In Detail
- Chris Bangle on The Future of Car Design
- What Would You Change About the 2015 MINI JCW?
- 2015 MINI John Cooper Works Reviews Galore
- Official 2015 MINI JCW Mega Gallery
MotoringFile on Instagram
- What Did SCOTT26 Talk About This Week?
- Last Laps Around the ‘Ring for the M2
- World Premiere: BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage
- BMW Unveils the Special Edition BMW 435i ZHP Coupe
- BMW Announces New ConnectedDrive Portal and ConnectedDrive Store
- The 2016 BMW M4 GTS is Coming to the US!
- A Sneak Peak at the Future of BMW Motorsport: The M6 GT3
- BMW Updates the M6 Competition Package with 600HP (w/Gallery)
- BMW Lands on the Podium at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- BMW Prepares for the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- Ask SF: What’s a Good Small Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range