Roberto Cavalli to Design This Year’s Life Ball MINI
Every year, MINI taps a world renowned designer or artist to create a special MINI for the Life Ball, one of the largest AIDS charity events in the world. You can see some of those cars by exploring our archives. This year it’s fashion designer Roberto Cavalli who’ll create a one-of-a-kind MINI for auction at the 2013 event in Vienna. Check back here in the coming weeks to see the unveil. Official details after the jump.
Official news from MINI: May 25th marks the date: in 2013, MINI will once again be supporting one of the biggest AIDS charity events worldwide, held annually to promote this cause. The Life Ball combines the extraordinary tradition of the Viennese ball, a spectacular opening ceremony and a strong demonstration of social commitment. MINI regularly donates a specially designed vehicle for auction at the event, the proceeds of which go to projects dedicated to fighting and preventing HIV and AIDS. Over the past years, a total of more than half a million Euros has been raised. It is tradition for this special MINI to be given a creative makeover by an internationally renowned designer who also stages the Life Ball Fashion Show.
This year Roberto Cavalli will be doing the honors on behalf of this charitable cause. One of the world’s most famous international fashion designers will be designing a MINI Paceman and giving it his own creative signature. His unconventional fashion style complements the MINI perfectly reflecting both its traditional values and modern diversity: “Designing the MINI was a very fun, exciting and stimulating experience. I had to create a car which not only respected and conveyed my fashion, but also my lifestyle: an unusual challenge, but surely a fascinating one”, says Cavalli. The result will be a one-of-a-kind car that crosses the boundaries of classical automotive design.
MINI at the Life Ball 2013 under the motto “1001 Nights”
Since 1993 Life Ball has participated and taken part in the battle against HIV and AIDS, attracting thousands of committed visitors every year to the Rathausplatz, the large square in front of Vienna’s City Hall. Based on this year’s motto “1001 Nights”, the Red Ribbon stage will display a spectacular oriental-style show with fairytale costumes lined up for the spectators. MINI has been a partner of Life Ball since 2001. Over the years it has managed to persuade many famous style icons to design the one-of-a-kind MINIs, among them Donatella Versace, Renzo Rosso, Angela Missoni and Diane von Furstenberg. The imaginative renderings and individual signature of the renowned designers have invariably turned these unique MINIs into coveted collector’s items placed as auction items during the AIDS Solidarity Gala to raise money for the HIV and AIDS cause. This year MINI is creating a MINI Paceman to the celebrate fashion designer Roberto Cavalli. Initial sketches will follow shortly.
History of MINI at the Life Ball
2013 – MINI designed by Roberto Cavalli.
MINI Paceman by Roberto Cavalli
2012 – MINI designed by Franca Sozzani.
MINI Roadster by Franca Sozzani
2011 – MINI designed by DSQUARED².
MINI by Dean and Dan Caten
2010 – MINI designed by Diane von Furstenberg, Kenneth Cole and Francisco Costa von Calvin Klein Collection.
MINI by Diane von Furstenberg MINI Cabrio by Kenneth Cole MINI Countryman by Francisco Costa of Calvin Klein Collection
2009 – MINI designed by The Blonds.
MINI Cabrio by The Blonds for Katy Perry
2008 – MINI designed by Agent Provocateur.
MINI Clubman by Agent Provocateur / Joseph Corré
2007 – MINI designed by Testino.
MINI by star photographer Mario Testino
2006 – MINI designed by Diesel.
MINI Cabrio by Renzo Rosso
2005 – MINI designed by Versace.
MINI Cabrio by Donatella Versace
2004 – MINI designed by Ferré.
MINI Cabrio by Gianfranco Ferré
2003 – MINI designed by Missoni.
MINI by Angela Missoni
2002 – Charity MINI.
With autographs by German, Austrian and international celebrities (incl. Elton John, No Angels, Heidi Klum, Emma Sjöberg, Mavie Hörbiger)
2001 – camouflaged MINI.
(Presentation of the new MINI before market launch)
Written By: Nathaniel Salzman
Sort by MINI model
- MINI USA Announces F56 Seat Related Recall
- Ask MF: How to Choose the Right MINI
- MINI at NAIAS – JCW Debut and the Superleggera Makes an Appearance
- Ask MINI USA Execs Anything You Want
- BMW Introduces 360-degree Collision Avoidance & Fully-Automated Parking
- Woofcast #533: Thank you Japan
- MINI Undecided on Producing the Rear Wheel Drive Superleggera Roadster
- BMW Group’s DriveNow Launches in London
- EVO Reviews the F55 Cooper S (Video)
- Woofcast #532: The Alfa Romeocast
MotoringFile on Instagram
- Weekend Read: BMW USA on Medium
- Ask BMW Executives Anything You Want
- Video Profile: 1970’s BMW Designer Paul Braq
- Options of the Future – What to Expect on 2016 & 2017 BMWs
- BMW Introduces 360-degree Collision Avoidance and Fully-Automated Parking
- Former BMW Factory Driver Hand Heading to Ford
- The Best Car Review Ever Written is About the BMW 2002
- BMW Group’s DriveNow Launches in London
- The 2 Series Coupe Gets the MINI 3 Cylinder Among Other Upgrades
- 2015 BMW 6 Series and M6 Mega Gallery
- The Morning Scooter Commute
- The 2StrokeBuzz 2014/2015 Cold Weather Challenge
- Honda Recalls 10,000 Grom and Forza Models For Fuel Pump Issue
- Report Predicts Bright Future for Electric Maxi-Scooters, 3-wheelers
- Video: MotoGeo Rides the Vespa 946
- Opinion: If I were Scomadi
- Ride the Brickyard at Amerivespa 2015
- Comparison: Vespa Primavera 125 vs. Peugeot Django 125
- Video: Scomadi Turns to Crowdfunding to Accelerate 300cc Model Production
- Video: Vespa Assembly Segment from How It’s Made
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range