MF Garage: Our Roadster’s First Spring Road-trip
With a quickly packed bag in the trunk and the Valentine 1 mounted on the windshield, the MINI Roadster and its first spring road trip gets underway just as the sun begins to climb into the morning sky. Our little JCW Roadster has done countless miles on this kind of road trip already but it’s been a long time since we’ve been able to go on one with weather worthy of top-down motoring. If all goes according to plan, that should happen today.
When we ordered our Roadster, we vacillated back and forth about how to spec such a unique car. We weren’t going to go with a frugal spec simply because we wanted to test as many of MINI’s long list of options as possible. Yet still, it was hard to narrow the choices down to just a few last year when we brought the question to our readers. While we weren’t able to get the Recaros we wanted (they were dropped from the Roadster due to wear problems) we ended up with a loaded Black JCW, finished with plenty of Chili Red touches. The result turns heads unlike any MINI I’ve ever driven.
Why? In my mind it comes down to the Roadster falling into some kind of golden ratio between shape and compactness, with a healthy dose of body curves. In fact, after living with the Roadster for seven months I’d say that the most unique aspect of the exterior design are the car’s rear hips, which rise over the quarter panels. They subtlety mirror that familiar shape behind the front lights that all MINIs have been endowed with since the original.
At our starting point in downtown Chicago there was no hope of the top being down, but with plenty of miles and plenty of time behind us later in the day, the sun shone bright in the sky it was time to pull over, twist the handle and flip the switch. A few seconds later we’re back on the road with the wind in our hair.
At around 50ºF with the wind-deflector in place (now standard on the Roadster) the MINI Roadster is a surprisingly comfortable place. It’s not cocooning like larger convertibles with windshields that extend near or past your head, but it feels as a MINI should — alive, civilized, but with reflexes tensed up a notch or two.
The same could be said for the driver. The beauty of open top motoring is the connection to the world outside. I’ve said it before here, automotive engineering has gone to great pains to cosset drivers to an extent that is usually robbing them of the joy of driving. While the normal MINI naturally strips much of this away, it’s the MINI Roadster that goes even further — bringing the outside in and reducing layers of modern comfort that can dull the experience.
With winter ending, I suppose it’s worth speaking to the Roadster’s ability to live through it. In my experience the R58 isn’t much different than any other MINI. With the proper tires there simply are no issues. The single layer top certainly allows for more wind and road noise into the cabin. Beyond that, however, there are no issues with extreme cold, with the car warming up, or staying warm as some had wondered.
After a few hours of top down driving at highway speeds, pulling up to our destination and turning off the car feels like quiet introspective moment. The Roadster won’t re-energize you after hours behind the wheel. It’s not meant to pamper or envelope you in the wonders of luxury. Instead this is a pocket-sized dose of excitement that seems to have endless spirit and eagerness. Top up or down, it’s a car that puts a smile on my face quicker than any MINI I’ve ever driven.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- MF Garage: How Important Are The Right Wheels? This Important.
- Harry Hunt Joins MINI Motorsports for Dakar 2016
- International Mini Meet to Take Place in Lithuania This Weekend
- MF Garage: Summer Tires for Our 2015 Cooper S
- Exclusive: MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises
- The MINI JCW In Detail
- Chris Bangle on The Future of Car Design
- What Would You Change About the 2015 MINI JCW?
- 2015 MINI John Cooper Works Reviews Galore
- Official 2015 MINI JCW Mega Gallery
MotoringFile on Instagram
- What Did SCOTT26 Talk About This Week?
- Last Laps Around the ‘Ring for the M2
- World Premiere: BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage
- BMW Unveils the Special Edition BMW 435i ZHP Coupe
- BMW Announces New ConnectedDrive Portal and ConnectedDrive Store
- The 2016 BMW M4 GTS is Coming to the US!
- A Sneak Peak at the Future of BMW Motorsport: The M6 GT3
- BMW Updates the M6 Competition Package with 600HP (w/Gallery)
- BMW Lands on the Podium at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- BMW Prepares for the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- Ask SF: What’s a Good Small Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range