How Should MINI Change their Model Line-up?
For years we’ve been reporting that MINI’s line-up will expanding. And as you know it has, going from one model to seven models in as many years. But recent comments by MINIUSA head Jim McDowel and several BMW Board members have underlined the fact that more changes are foot. We’ve reported on quite a few:
- MINI 3/5dr hatch – Increased demand for utility leads to the next generation MINI, due next year, to feature available five doors for the 1st time.
- MINI Traveller – MINI’s version of the Active Tourer. It’s designed to show how both cars can co-exist with individual style and flexibility.
- MINI Convertible – The F56-generation version of the popular 4-seat, open top MINI.
- MINI Roadster – The next Roadster and Coupe will launch with a sportier look completely separate from the standard MINI. MINI design language will remain but the bodywork will no longer be based on the hardtop hatch.
- MINI Coupe – Coupe version of Roadster, and as mentioned above, more individual in appearance than the standard hardtop hatch.
- MINI Sedan – A sporty four door MINI aimed at further growing the market for MINIs. Could potentially be MINI’s best seller worldwide, overtaking the Countryman.
- MINI Countryman – Next generation of the global MINI juggernaut, the Countryman will finally share its underpinnings with BMW X1.
- MINI Paceman and Paceman XL – Next generation of newest MINI member will be offered with the current 3-door version, as well as a 5-door.
- MINI Clubman – Current car revisited with more style and more flexibility. Anticipated as more of a Shooting Brake with dynamic raked roof and forward looking proportions.
But is BMW starting to look at this line-up and wonder if there’s too little variation between models? Or if they’re not, should they? Do they have the right product mix? Are they relying too much on larger (for MINIs of course) products and not focusing on something smaller and more in keeping with the original Mini? Let us know in the comment section below.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- Next Generation Paceman to Go Four Doors
- Autocar: Mini Cooper D five-door UK first drive review
- How to Listen to White Roof Radio
- MF / WRR Interview: Glympse
- White Roof Radio #524
- What to Expect from MINI at the Mondial de l’ Automobile Paris 2014
- Change Lane: The Uber of Oil Change
- F55 Public Debut at the 2014 Paris Auto Show
- MINI Explores The Future of Mobility at The London Design Festival
- A Photo Tour of MINI Production at Oxford
MotoringFile on Instagram
- Update: The BMW i9 Supercar is a Go!
- Former Audi Exec Named Head of BMW M
- BMW Motorrad YTD Sales Breaking Records
- BMW R 1200 RT Named 2014 People’s Choice Motorcycle of the Year
- Cycle World Pits the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure vs. KTM 1190 Adventure R
- BMW Team RLL Results at the Circuit of the Americas
- Car & Driver Reminds Us Why The BMW 8 Series Failed
- BMW M3 Finishes 1-2 at Circuit of the Americas in Grand Sport
- An M3 on Slicks in the Rain on the Tail of the Dragon
- Will the Next Generation M5 & M6 Return to the V10?
- Video: Scomadi Starts Production
- Rumor Denied: Genuine Scooter Company is NOT Going out of Business
- Just Gotta Scoot Reviews the Genuine Hooligan 170i
- McSweeney’s: Please Steel My Vespa
- Opinion: Scooter Rentals Should Require Motorcycle Endorsement
- Kickstart This: The Scooter Cannonball Movie
- Video: Building the BMW C Evolution
- First Ride: Vespa 946
- Video: The Vespa 946 Bellissima
- World Debut: The Vespa 946 Bellissima
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range