How Should MINI Change their Model Line-up?
For years we’ve been reporting that MINI’s line-up will expanding. And as you know it has, going from one model to seven models in as many years. But recent comments by MINIUSA head Jim McDowel and several BMW Board members have underlined the fact that more changes are foot. We’ve reported on quite a few:
- MINI 3/5dr hatch – Increased demand for utility leads to the next generation MINI, due next year, to feature available five doors for the 1st time.
- MINI Traveller – MINI’s version of the Active Tourer. It’s designed to show how both cars can co-exist with individual style and flexibility.
- MINI Convertible – The F56-generation version of the popular 4-seat, open top MINI.
- MINI Roadster – The next Roadster and Coupe will launch with a sportier look completely separate from the standard MINI. MINI design language will remain but the bodywork will no longer be based on the hardtop hatch.
- MINI Coupe – Coupe version of Roadster, and as mentioned above, more individual in appearance than the standard hardtop hatch.
- MINI Sedan – A sporty four door MINI aimed at further growing the market for MINIs. Could potentially be MINI’s best seller worldwide, overtaking the Countryman.
- MINI Countryman – Next generation of the global MINI juggernaut, the Countryman will finally share its underpinnings with BMW X1.
- MINI Paceman and Paceman XL – Next generation of newest MINI member will be offered with the current 3-door version, as well as a 5-door.
- MINI Clubman – Current car revisited with more style and more flexibility. Anticipated as more of a Shooting Brake with dynamic raked roof and forward looking proportions.
But is BMW starting to look at this line-up and wonder if there’s too little variation between models? Or if they’re not, should they? Do they have the right product mix? Are they relying too much on larger (for MINIs of course) products and not focusing on something smaller and more in keeping with the original Mini? Let us know in the comment section below.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- 2017 Countryman Spotted on the ‘Ring (Video)
- A Sneak Peek at the Clubman JCW Package
- A Tribute to the MINI R58 Coupe (Video)
- 2015 JCW at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
- MINI’s New Identity and Brand Strategy is All About Minimalism
- 2016 MINI Clubman Detailed in Official Videos
- Woofcast #555: We Have a Petition for That
- MINI’s First Clubman Commercial is Out
- MINI Re-Brands & Re-Aligns its Strategy with an Eye On Car-Sharing
- The 2016 MINI Clubman – Just the Facts
MotoringFile on Instagram
- The F82 M4 Beats the E92 M3’s Nurburgring Time – By A lot
- BMW Team RLL Survives to Finish on the Podium at the Glen
- An Inside Look at How BMW Camouflages its Prototypes
- Video: Watch the R1200 Engine Assembly Process
- Deconstructing the BMW Concept Path 22
- Do You Need More than a 3 Series Diesel?
- BMW Team RLL – Sahlen’s Six Hour of the Glen Preview + The M6 GT3 Debuts
- New in the BF Garage: BMW G650 GS
- BMW Group Overall Winner at the Engine of the Year Awards 2015
- BMW E28 M5 Owner Featured by Petrolicious
- Recap: Amerivespa 2015 — Indianapolis, IN
- Scooter Vagabonding. Man Quits His Job, Rides Ruckus 30k Miles. (video)
- Change.org Petition Aims to Ban All Motorcycles In Hawaii
- Genuine Debuts New Buddy Color: Titanium Gloss
- Review: Vespa GTS 300 ABS by Just Gotta Scoot
- Ask SF: What’s the Best First Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range