How Should MINI Change their Model Line-up?
For years we’ve been reporting that MINI’s line-up will expanding. And as you know it has, going from one model to seven models in as many years. But recent comments by MINIUSA head Jim McDowel and several BMW Board members have underlined the fact that more changes are foot. We’ve reported on quite a few:
- MINI 3/5dr hatch – Increased demand for utility leads to the next generation MINI, due next year, to feature available five doors for the 1st time.
- MINI Traveller – MINI’s version of the Active Tourer. It’s designed to show how both cars can co-exist with individual style and flexibility.
- MINI Convertible – The F56-generation version of the popular 4-seat, open top MINI.
- MINI Roadster – The next Roadster and Coupe will launch with a sportier look completely separate from the standard MINI. MINI design language will remain but the bodywork will no longer be based on the hardtop hatch.
- MINI Coupe – Coupe version of Roadster, and as mentioned above, more individual in appearance than the standard hardtop hatch.
- MINI Sedan – A sporty four door MINI aimed at further growing the market for MINIs. Could potentially be MINI’s best seller worldwide, overtaking the Countryman.
- MINI Countryman – Next generation of the global MINI juggernaut, the Countryman will finally share its underpinnings with BMW X1.
- MINI Paceman and Paceman XL – Next generation of newest MINI member will be offered with the current 3-door version, as well as a 5-door.
- MINI Clubman – Current car revisited with more style and more flexibility. Anticipated as more of a Shooting Brake with dynamic raked roof and forward looking proportions.
But is BMW starting to look at this line-up and wonder if there’s too little variation between models? Or if they’re not, should they? Do they have the right product mix? Are they relying too much on larger (for MINIs of course) products and not focusing on something smaller and more in keeping with the original Mini? Let us know in the comment section below.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- The MINI Clubman Concept in Video
- The MINI Clubman Concept Live from Geneva
- Official: MINI DesignworksUSA Designs One Cool Room for Sweden’s ICEHOTEL
- MINI USA Sales Down 43% in January With Transition from R56 to F56
- Dakar-winning Team MINI Visits Jay Leno’s Garage
- Help Design MotoringFile’s 2014 F56 MINI
- MINI at the Geneva Motor Show
- World Debut: MINI Clubman Concept
- Spied: New MINI F55 5-door Caught Doors Open
- Innovations Days: An Early Look at BMW & MINI’s Next Generation Technology
MotoringFile on Instagram
- World Debut: BMW X4 (with Pricing & Gallery)
- BMWNA Announced US Availability of the Alpina B6 Gran Coupe
- BMW Testing the M2 & X4 M40i with N55 Six Cylinder
- The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer Live from Geneva
- BMWNA Sales Up 3.3% for February
- Want to Test Drive the i3? Here’s Your Chance.
- Debut: BMW M4 DTM
- The X4 Is Coming March 6th
- Official: Concorso di Motociclette 2014 — A Beauty Contest on Two Wheels.
- BMWNA Announces Center of Excellence Awards for US Dealers
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride — The Story of America’s Sidecar Dogs
- The Stella 125 Automatic: We Want Your Questions
- Video: The Yellow Vespa Menace
- The Ruckus (and Grom) Shenanigans of Greg Hatcher and MNNTHBX
- This Week in Scooters: Feb 23 – March 1
- The Slaughterhouse, a Custom Genuine Roughhouse 50
- Gallery: The C50 Mini-Bobber by Lê Thanh Bình
- A LEGO Vespa, Yours For Just $22,000
- The Reaper, a Custom Buddy 170i
- Honda Grows the Integra to 750cc for 2014
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range