The 2014 Cooper & Cooper S Design Details Revealed
Courtesy of Paultan.org these latest images of F56 prototypes give us the best look yet and the differences between the Cooper and Cooper S design differences. Lets take a look.
Since 2001 the Cooper S has been defined upfront by hood scoop be it real with the R53 or faux with the R56. While we’re not sure if there’s any plumbing behind it here (not likely) MINI has clearly decided it’s a core component to the MCS design language for the F56. Also carrying over in similar fashion are the MCS (and JCW) exclusive brake ducts on the outside of the lower grill.
A new addition to the design language is the “S” logo used as a badge on the left side of the upper grille. In our mind it’s a great idea but the continued use of the questionable “S” script design is a little eye-rolling.
Consistent on both is the Rocketman-like grille surround and subtle creases above the wheel slats.
Xenons vs LEDs
The photos at the top of the page show us the two premium lighting options MINI will offer on the F56. But perhaps more importantly the photo directly above gives us our first look yet of the LED headlight and foglight option. Brighter light with less energy required LEDs are the future of all automotive lighting. However until now they’ve been exclusive to high-end cars. Our sources who have seen the lights at night call them unreal.
Around the back the F56 Cooper and Cooper S take the core design languages and simply grow them a bit without increasing the size of the car. Think of everything getting slightly more aggressive and rounded in design with the intrusion of key creases here and there to add some dynamic qualities.
And those lights. Yes they are bit and they extend into the hatch. One detail that will become more clear soon; it looks as if the Cooper S central exhaust is now turned longitudinal rather than latitudinal in the current R56.
The F56 will debut on the web in very late summer likely a week before the Frankfurt Auto Show where it will publicly debut. Look for it to his Euro dealers in late 2013 with US sales beginning in February of 2014.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- MF Garage: How Important Are The Right Wheels? This Important.
- Harry Hunt Joins MINI Motorsports for Dakar 2016
- International Mini Meet to Take Place in Lithuania This Weekend
- MF Garage: Summer Tires for Our 2015 Cooper S
- Exclusive: MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises
- The MINI JCW In Detail
- Chris Bangle on The Future of Car Design
- What Would You Change About the 2015 MINI JCW?
- 2015 MINI John Cooper Works Reviews Galore
- Official 2015 MINI JCW Mega Gallery
MotoringFile on Instagram
- What Did SCOTT26 Talk About This Week?
- Last Laps Around the ‘Ring for the M2
- World Premiere: BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage
- BMW Unveils the Special Edition BMW 435i ZHP Coupe
- BMW Announces New ConnectedDrive Portal and ConnectedDrive Store
- The 2016 BMW M4 GTS is Coming to the US!
- A Sneak Peak at the Future of BMW Motorsport: The M6 GT3
- BMW Updates the M6 Competition Package with 600HP (w/Gallery)
- BMW Lands on the Podium at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- BMW Prepares for the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- Review: Vespa GTS 300 ABS by Just Gotta Scoot
- Ask SF: What’s a Good Small Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range