MotoringFile’s Best of the Detroit Auto Show
The universally praised Toyota FT1 gets the nod here. And as much as the aero-focused design is striking, the how the low the car is that really buckled my knees when I first saw it. Like the Toyota F86 the FT1 looks built from the ground up to be minimal and enthusiast oriented. Just imagine if this platform was the one that BMW and Toyota were sharing for new sports car development.
Best Small Hatch Concept: MINI JCW Concept
The JCW concept looks like the JCW we’ve always wanted. If whispers are to be believed, this will be a 2,800 lbs car with 220 hp, bespoke suspension and enough fast bits to make this to quickest MINI of all time.
Best Production Car: The BMW M3
How can we not choose the new M3. And yes you read that right. Not the M4 but the four door M3. The one with the massive fender flares, better seating position and more classic BMW shape. There’s nothing on the BMW stand we want more than the Yas Marina Blue M3. Except give us one with a stick.
Best 3 Series Challenger: Mercedes C Class
The new Mercedes C Class looks great folks. Proportionally this is the best C Class ever. And the interior is (gulp) so clearly of higher quality than the 3er that BMW needs to take notice. Luckily for BMW the interface and digital typography continues to let down the overall aesthetic of the car.
Best Interior: Porsche 918
This is the future and it’s rare we see it on a super car. It turns out $1,000,000 buys you quite a bit.
Most Lipstick Applied to a Pig: Fiat 500L with Mopar Accessories
We like the Fiat 500 Abarth. And we don’t mind the Fiat 500 itself. But the 500L is an abomination no matter how much flare you throw at it.
Best NAIAS Highway Chariot: BMW E36 328i
Ok this is a blatant attempt to show-off our E36 winter-beater. 64k on the odometer and in vaguely new condition, it’s a a complete mind-trip for those who have forgotten how analog cars were only 20 years ago.
Best use of Animal Hide: Mercedes S600
Yes it’s a bit much but wow. The new Mercedes S600 with Designo interior is simply stunning.
Worst Detailing Job: BMW M4
Sometimes the blocking and tackling of autoshow 101 gets missed. Even by the professionals.
Best Ironic Sign Pointed at Booth Professional: Dodge
It makes even more sense if you saw the front view.
Best Exhaust: Porsche 918
The Porsche 918 is stunning from every angle. But it’s the drivetrain that is perhaps the car’s crowning achievement. And the best visual demonstration of that is the engineering prowess required to route the V8’s exhaust through about everything and out the top of the car.
Best Back to Basics Concept: Nissan IDx Nismo
Is this Nissan concept a precursor to a modern Datsun 510? We hope so.
Worst Quality Entirely New Interior: 2014 Suburu STI
At least Suburu is consistent. The problem is that competitors such as the R32 Golf or the new MINI are leaps and bounds better in terms of places to live in.
In the worst interior overall the winner has to be the F150. It’s cut your hand on the dashboard plastic mold seam bad.
Best Overall: The Porsche 918
Sure it’s old news to many but this was the first time we had a chance to see the car up close and spend quality time in the driver’s seat (albeit it sitting still). The 918 is stunning in person but even more incredible hands-on. The craftsmanship is impeccable and the thoroughness of the design detail is unlike anything I’ve ever seen outside of Pagani. And all in a Porsche aesthetic that is minimally gorgeous.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- MINIUSA’s JCW Configurator is Live
- Apple And BMW Might Be Working On An OS
- MINI at the 85th Geneva International Motor Show 2015
- MINI USA Sales Up 51% for February 2015
- Woofcast #542: The Turbo Nipple
- Q&A With The Creators of The Clubman Gran Turismo Concept
- World Premier: MINI Countryman Park Lane
- The Last Day to Order the MINI Coupe & Roadster Just Weeks Away
- Meet MINI’s new Global VP Sebastian Mackensen
- A Metaphor For The Modern Motor Industry
MotoringFile on Instagram
- The 85th Geneva Motor Show – Fully Gallery
- BMW at the 85th Geneva Motor Show – Our Take (w/Gallery)
- BMW ALPINA B6 Gran Coupe to make North American debut at NYC Auto Show
- BMW Sales Up 14.5% for February in the US
- BMW of North America Announces Best Dealership Awards
- BMW Premiers “Vehicular Small Cell” at the Mobile World Congress
- BMW to Offer Official GoPro Mount Kits
- The Future of The BMW M5 & M6 is All-Wheel Drive (Among Other Things)
- The BMW M6 GT3 Completes First Test Ahead of 2016 Launch
- The 2015 BMW DTM Cars Make Their First Appearance
- Piaggio Group Recalls 2,600 Vespas For Faulty Fuel Pumps
- Video: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 ABS Wins Midsize Scooter Shootout
- Two Tiny Vespas That Make a Big Impression
- Video: How to Ride a Vespa
- Video: Resurrecting a Ruckus
- Video: The Gogoro Electric Scooter
- New Scooter-related Laws for 2015
- Two-Wheel Injuries and Fatalities Dropped in 2013
- ScooterFile’s Top Five Stories of 2014
- The Morning Scooter Commute
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range