Faces of MINI Takes The States
The dust has settled, the buses have left and MTTS withdrawal has afflicted moterers from coast to coast. We’ve seen pictures of the cars but let’s meet some of the people who made this event so epic.
The car that “comes standard with friends” proved true to that claim in the relationships and bonds that people formed at MINI Takes the States 2014. The finale in Boston was a collection of creativity and friendships on display. The cars bring us together but the people bring us back. Here are a few of the 1,300 faces from the MINI Takes the States finale in Boston.
The event had several feeder events, one of which was hosted by MINI of Peabody at the British Beer Company in Danvers, MA.
Buffalo, New York residents Robert Bond, his wife (not pictured) and his daughter Diana, drove the legs from Cleveland, OH to Boston, MA in their 2014 Countryman, which is their third MINI.
Karen and Rich Kosher drove their GP2 from Paris, Ohio to San Francisco, CA all the way to Boston, MA then back home – nearly 9,000 miles in all.
He may not be old enough to drive yet, but Josh King from New Hampshire was already showing his true colors as he sat down for a MINI-styled face painting.
Who doesn’t love a puppy? Sherri Savella from Hebron, CT drove her 2010 JCW Clubman and her husband Greg drove their 2006 Hardtop S. Both of them drove the entire length of MTTS (“Chowder to Chowdah” as a MINI t-shirt proclaims) and picked up their new puppy, Macy the day before the finale in Boston.
Ali Mir (right) flew from the U.K. with two friends, Chris Daniels and Phil Kitchen (left and middle) to San Francisco, CA. How did Ali get to Boston, MA? He hitchhiked – really. MINI owners and MINI USA welcomed him into the family.
Mary Wellington from Thousand Oaks, California is another coast-to-coaster, having driven her 2004 Cooper S with 193,000 miles on it all the way to Boston.
The Ly family live in San Francisco, CA so the starting line was home, but they made it to Boston, MA in their 2013 Pepper White Hardtop that started the journey with just under 500 miles on it.
Ian and Jackie Hardy have a Wallace and Grommit-inspired Clubvan, which they drove from their home in Hollywood, FL to San Francisco, CA to the end. By the time they get home they will have logged over 8,600 miles.
Clubvan owners are pretty rare sights, but Barbra and Dave Newman also own a lovely Clubvan wrapped with a woody-style side paneling. The Newmans live in Kingston, MA and drove from Buffalo, NY to Boston, MA.
As one might expect there was plenty of creativity on display with the MINIs so we’ll sign off with a few pictures of the cars in Boston as we said farewell to MTTS 2014:
Written By: Kurt Heiden
Sort by MINI model
- Silvercar and the End of the Car Rental Nightmare
- The Future of Mobility by MINI and Designer Jaime Hayon
- MINI Does Gran Turismo 6 with the Clubman Vision (w/Video)
- Leaked: Clubman Vision Gran Turismo Concept
- New Report on MINI’s Rumored Small Car
- A Video Tour of the MINI Exhibit at the BMW Museum
- EVO Races the MINI GP against MINI Challenge Race Cars
- The F56 JCW Tuning Kit Put on Hold for the US Market
- MINI Clubman to Feature BMW’s Air Curtain Technology
- Steering Feel: F56 Cooper S vs R56 Cooper S
MotoringFile on Instagram
- The 3 Series & 4 Series Variants – How Do They Break Down in Sales?
- The Next Generation BMW 3 Series Comes into Focus
- An Owner’s Six Month Review of the BMW M4
- Does the Lexus RC-F Stack up to the M4? Chris Harris Finds Out
- Top Gear’s Jeremy Clarkson Pits the BMW M3 vs the i8
- Preview: BMW at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show
- BMW Motorsport Announces Shell Sponsorship in the DTM and USCC
- Interview: Development of the New BMW M3 and M4 (Part 2)
- Apple Hires Head of Mercedes-Benz R&D
- World Premier: BMW M4 MotoGP Safety Car
- Video: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 ABS Wins Midsize Scooter Shootout
- Two Tiny Vespas That Make a Big Impression
- Video: How to Ride a Vespa
- Video: Resurrecting a Ruckus
- Video: The Gogoro Electric Scooter
- New Scooter-related Laws for 2015
- Two-Wheel Injuries and Fatalities Dropped in 2013
- ScooterFile’s Top Five Stories of 2014
- The Morning Scooter Commute
- The 2StrokeBuzz 2014/2015 Cold Weather Challenge
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range