This past weekend MINI officially unveiled a range of MINI and JCW accessories including the highly anticipated JCW Tuning Kit. However it’s the latter that were most interested in.
Launching in Europe this month, the new kit is designed more holistically than before and is comprised of a full ECU remap, stainless steel exhaust and some surprises. For details and to hear the kit in full song, click through.
So what is the kit made up of this time? Similar to the R56 system, the kit is comprised mostly of an exhaust and remapping software for the engine. However the results are a bit more impressive then before. Here are the details:
– A stainless steel cat-back system – cannot be sold without the engine kit
– Optional Carbon Fiber and Stainless tips with JCW logos
– 15hp Power increase due to ECU remapping and increase flow
– A remote that allows the driver to open and close the electronic baffle inside the exhaust allowing for a more aggressive note when appropriate
– Track mode – opens the exhaust baffle increasing exhaust noise via a button on the remote (this is mode is not approved for the street)
When we got a sneak peak of the kit this summer we were told to expect a late fall release. While we have yet to hear anything definitive, we believe this timing is still the plan.
– Estimated availability: fall 2014
– Available only on the Cooper S as a dealer accessory
– Pricing should be lower than the previous kit around $2000.
Will it be worth it? We’ve always been a big fan of these kits – especially early on in the life-cycle as tuners typically take a few years to full exploit new BMW engines. Then there’s the full warranty, pedigree and resell value it gives you.
Beyond the new JCW Tuning Kit MINI is also prepping several other new accessories for the F56 and F55 for a March 2015 debut. Look for details on those in the coming days.