Official Release: MINI and HAX, a division of venture capital firm SOSV, today shared the names of several companies that are participating in the first cohort of the URBAN-X startup accelerator program. Over the course of three months, the nine companies in the inaugural cohort will refine their visions and build/launch their products and services which will positively impact urban life and shape the fabric of future cities. The program will culminate at an invite only Demo Day on June 7th, 2016.
The nine companies participating in the inaugural cohort are:
– Brooklyness: We make cycling in the city safer. Brooklyness.com; @brooklyness1
– Buzzware: Supercharging network for commercial drones. Buzzware.co
– CTY: Analytics for places. @heycty
– Farmshelf: Easy to use hydroponic urban farms for schools, apartment buildings and underutilized city spaces, Farmshelf.co; @farmshelfco
– MindRider: Mapping mental experiences to find the best places. mindriderhelmet.com ; @mindriderhelmet
– nello: The virtual doorman for your home. nello.io; @locumilabs
– Industrial/Organic: Sustainable solutions for a changing world. industrialorganic.co
– SAMOCAT: The lightest and the most compact automated public transportation system. Samocat.fr; @SamocatSharing
– stae: We’re modern civil engineering. stae.co; @staehere
URBAN-X by MINI and HAX combines the core competencies of MINI, including design, engineering, and usability, with HAX’s best-in-class acceleration processes, investing experience, and ability to help companies bring innovative technologies to market rapidly. The intensive program will assist the participating companies with designing and launching products and services that improve life in cities, and addresses the challenges of increasingly dense urban areas.
URBAN-X is also now accepting applications for the next cohort, which will be held in August 2016 at A/D/O, a new 23,000 square foot space at 29 Norman Avenue in Brooklyn’s Greenpoint neighborhood set to open this summer. The deadline for submitting applications is June 24. The selection criteria will again focus on the strength of the startup’s vision, the quality and commitment of the team, the viability of the business model, and existing traction with customers. Urban-X will host additional cohorts twice a year, with each session lasting three and a half months.
Startups, entrepreneurs and designers can apply for upcoming Urban-X by MINI and HAX programs at Urban-X.com.