Big news from MINI USA Today with the announcement of 2021 MINI Pricing and Equipment updates. Among the changes are lower prices across the board, the return of the manual (in some cases), new colors and an updated Countryman Hybrid. Let’s dig into the details.
That first bit of news will be an incredibly welcome surprise to both dealers and customers. Most years we’re looking at price increases on models and options. Instead MINI USA is slashing prices across the board by $1,000 with the exception of the Oxford Editions and the revised Countryman. This is especially relevant on the lower priced hatch models where $1,000 is a more considerable part of the price. This aggressive move is in response to falling sales in the US and a consolidated dealer footprint in a few markets. Clearly MINI USA is hoping that lower prices and great products will get more consideration from consumers. Time will tell but MINI fans are sure to take notice.
Read on for the full details.
2021 will be another big year for MINI USA with a host of new and updated models that appeal to a broadening range of MINI customers. For the 2021 model year, MINI USA continues its market launch of two important vehicles that represent both ends of the spectrum of the brand – electric mobility and high- performance.
On one end of the spectrum, the fully electric MINI Cooper SE has arrived in the US, offering customers efficient battery-electric drive at an attractive price, without compromising space, design, and driving fun. On the other end of the spectrum, the high-performance MINI John Cooper Works GP is the fastest and most powerful MINI ever built, with a limited number of these exclusive models being delivered to customers across the U.S.
In addition, the new 2021 MINI Countryman is updated, featuring refreshed design elements along with enhancements in technology and equipment offerings. Most importantly it retains MINI’s “fun-to-drive” character and expressive design that makes it instantly recognizable as MINI.
The largest and most versatile member of the MINI family, the MINI Countryman has proven itself to be an attractive vehicle concept in the premium compact cross-over segment, and it represents one of the brand’s most popular models in the US, accounting for close to 40% of all MINIs sold in calendar year 2019.”
MINI Hardtop 2 Door, MINI Hardtop 4 Door, and MINI Convertible
Having been updated for the 2019 model year, the MINI hardtops and convertibles carry forward these enhancements though to the 2021 model year. Yet the most relevant news for the 2021 model-year MINI hardtops and convertibles is the addition of new and significant model variants.
These include the new battery electric MINI Cooper SE and the 301hp MINI John Cooper Works GP – both of which are 2-door hardtops, as well as the 2021 MINI Cooper S Sidewalk Edition which is an exclusive special edition convertible. On top of that, MINI USA is pleased announce that availability of the MINI Oxford Edition 2-door and 4-door hardtops has been expanded to everyone for 2021.
Along with these new offerings, MINI has made a number of updates to technology offerings in each of the trim levels for the MINI hardtops and convertibles.
Trim & Package Updates
- In “Signature Trim” equipped models, MINI’s 6.5” Touchscreen Navigation system with, eCall, TeleService, ConnectedDrive Service, ARTTI, Remote Services and Apple CarPlay can be added as a package option.
- The new driver digital instrument cluster is available in the “Signature Trim” with optional navigation, and comes standard in vehicles equipped with “Iconic Trim”.
The Revised MINI Countryman
The progressive character of the new 2021 MINI Countryman is reflected in a range of model variants, from the plug-in hybrid drive MINI Cooper SE Countryman ALL4 to the high performance MINI John Cooper Works Countryman ALL4. Full information can be found in the more detailed MINI Countryman release, however, in addition to its refreshed design, a few key elements for the 2021 MINI Countryman include the following;
Technology – The center instrument display has received an all new look and feel. All 2021 Countryman models will feature an 8.8” Touchscreen CID nestled in a Piano Black Bezel.
Signature Trim variants of the Cooper S, Cooper S ALL4, Cooper SE, and John Cooper Works will also come with 8.8” Touchscreen Navigation. This package added more functionality which includes;
- Digital Instrument Cluster
- MINI Navigation
- Apple CarPlay
- Remote Services
- Advanced Real Time Traffic Information.
Head Lights, Taillights & Fog Lights
All MINI Countryman models come with:
- Redesigned LED Head Lights, including the cornering functionality.
- New Union Jack LED Tail Lights.
- LED Fog Lights on the MINI Cooper and Cooper S Countryman models will help illuminate your drive during inclement weather.
- All MINI Countryman come with the optional Piano Black Exterior Trim. The Piano Black Exterior Trim includes: head & tail light frames, front grille frame, frame around the side scuttles (only for Cooper S), door handles and the Countryman model designation on the boot in Piano Black high gloss instead of chrome.
- Roof and Mirrors – Melting Silver roof and mirrors are now available on Countryman, except when combined with Chili Red, Island Blue White Silver, and Moonwalk Grey body colors.
- New Wheels – New wheel options include the 17” Channel Spoke alloy wheels in black and 19” Turnstile Spoke allow wheels with a 2-tone finish.
- New Colors – Two new colors have been added to the MINI Countryman for MY 2021. They are White Silver Metallic and Sage Green Metallic.
- Piano Black Roof Rails – Previously exclusive to the JCW Countryman, Piano Black Roof Rails are now available for Cooper S, Cooper S ALL4, or Cooper SE ALL4 Countryman. You can add Piano Black Roof Rails to an Iconic Trim equipped with Piano Black Exterior Trim for an additional $250.
MINI Cooper SE Countryman ALL4 (PHEV)
The extended EV battery capacity introduced in the 2020 MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4 (PHEV) carries on into the new 2021 model-year Countryman. Capacity increased from 7.6 kWh to 10 kWh. This offers increase in both the electric and overall range of the vehicle from 12 miles to approximately 17 all-electric miles (EPA). In addition, the potential tax credit is expected to remain at $5,002.
The MINI Clubman was updated with enhancements in design and substance for the 2020 model year. These updates carry through for the 2021 model year. Also introduced for the model year was a new higher performance MINI John Cooper Works Clubman with a 301hp engine. Adding to that, for 2021 there are a number of new updates and features that include the following;
The Signature Trim on the MINI Clubman models will now come with 6.5” Touchscreen Navigation included in the trim. This package includes; Digital Instrument Cluster, MINI Navigation, Apple CarPlay, Remote Services, and Advanced Real Time Traffic Information.
Transmission – the manual returns
MINI USA is pleased to announce the return of the Getrag 6-speed manual transmission on the Cooper S Clubman with front-wheel drive. This transmission is standard on the Cooper S Clubman Classic Trim, and as an available option on Signature Trim and Iconic Trim.
Re-introduction of manual transmission
For the 2021 model year, MINI is once again offering manual transmissions on a range of its models. These include;
|2021 MINI Hardtop and Convertible Models with Manual Transmissions|
|MINI Cooper 2-door Hardtop|
|MINI Cooper 4-door Hardtop|
|MINI Cooper S 2-door Hardtop|
|MINI Cooper S 4-door Hardtop|
|MINI John Cooper Works 2-door Hardtop|
|MINI Cooper Convertible|
|MINI Cooper S Convertible|
|MINI Cooper S Clubman (FWD)|
- The high performance 2021 MINI John Cooper Works GP, which comes exclusively with an 8-speed Steptronic Sport automatic transmission, tailored to handle the car’s 301 horsepower.
- The 2021 model year MINI John Cooper Works Convertible, which exclusively features a standard 8-Speed Steptronic Sport automatic transmission.
- The 2021 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4 and MINI John Cooper Works Clubman All4
- All 2021 MINI Countryman models
Discontinued Exterior Body Colors
Emerald Grey Metallic and Melting Silver Metallic body colors will no longer be available on any MINI models. This change does not affect Melting Silver Roof and Mirror caps on the MINI Clubman and MINI Countryman.
2021 MINI Pricing
For the 2021 Model Year, MINI USA lowered the price for eight of its models by $1,000, and kept pricing unchanged for seven additional models, further enhancing accessibility and value for MINI customers.
|MODEL / VARIANT||MY 2020||MY 2021||Change|
|MINI Hardtop 2 Door|
|Oxford Edition 2 Door||$19,750||$19,750||Same|
|Cooper Hardtop 2 Door||$23,400||$22,400||Lower|
|Cooper S Hardtop 2 Door||$27,400||$26,400||Lower|
|Cooper SE Hardtop 2 Door||$29,900||$29,900||Same|
|John Cooper Works Hardtop||$33,400||$32,400||Lower|
|John Cooper Works GP||N/A||$44,900||N/A|
|MINI Hardtop 4 Door|
|Oxford Edition 4 Door||$20,750||$20,750||Same|
|Cooper Hardtop 4 Door||$24,400||$23,400||Lower|
|Cooper S Hardtop 4 Door||$28,400||$27,400||Lower|
|Cooper S Convertible||$32,400||$31,400||Lower|
|John Cooper Works Convertible||$38,400||$38,400||Same|
|Cooper S Clubman||$30,900||$29,900||Lower|
|Cooper S ALL4 Clubman||$32,900||$32,900||Same|
|John Cooper Works Clubman ALL4||$39,400||$39,500||Up|
|MINI Countryman – New for 2021|
|Cooper Countryman Oxford Edition||$25,900||N/A||N/A|
|Cooper Countryman ALL4 Oxford Edition||$27,900||N/A||N/A|
|Cooper Countryman ALL4||$30,400||$31,100||Up|
|Cooper S Countryman||$31,900||$31,900||Same|
|Cooper S Countryman ALL4||$33,900||$33,900||Same|
|Cooper SE Countryman ALL4 (PHEV)||$40,900||$41,500||Up|
|John Cooper Works Countryman ALL4||$41,400||$41,500||Up|