Official Release: MINI USA announced pricing today on its all-new 2016 MINI Convertible with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $25,950 for the Cooper model. In addition, the company also introduced the fastest, most powerful convertible it has ever built, the new MINI John Cooper Works Convertible.
As one of the newest additions to the MINI product line, the new MINI Convertible represents the first open top MINI powered by BMW Group engines. The premium four-seater soft-top convertible is both practical and customizable, delivering unlimited open-air motoring fun. The latest generation convertible, which was designed, engineered, developed, and assembled in Europe, starts only $250 higher than previous generation car, making it the only true convertible built in Europe priced below $26,000. The Cooper S variant will start at $29,600. All prices exclude the $850 Destination & Handling fee.
In addition to the Cooper and Cooper S models, MINI has developed its fastest, most powerful open-top yet with the new MINI John Cooper Works Convertible. Similar to the recently launched MINI John Cooper Work Hardtop, the new MINI John Cooper Works Convertible is specially tuned for high performance on the track and on the road. The John Cooper Works variant will start at $35,600 plus Destination & Handling.
“The new Convertible has all of the legendary driving performance you expect in a MINI yet with interior materials and finishes which set a new benchmark for the segment,” said Patrick McKenna, Department Head, Product Planning, MINI USA. “Now with the addition of the John Cooper Works variant we have once again set the bar high for the rest of the premium convertible market by offering a high performance open-top driving experience.”
As with all MINI models in the product line up, the new MINI Convertible is made for individualization. Featuring a choice of 11 exterior color options, including the new Caribbean Aqua and Melting Silver colors, as well as a number of premium seating options such as the new Malt Brown leather with diamond-stitching reminiscent of classic English Chesterfield sofas, the new MINI Convertible sets the standard in the premium convertible market.
The new MINI Convertible comes equipped with a standard “Always Open Timer,” providing convertible enthusiasts with the ability to calculate the number of hours they’ve driven with the top down. It will also come standard with the MINI Connected infotainment system including a 6.5-inch high-resolution screen. In addition, an optional larger 8.8-inch display includes navigation and a clever rain warning app, which notifies drivers of impending storms so they can prepare their vehicle for inclement weather. A list of standard features, a la carte options and available bundled packages can be found at the end of this release.
OPEN-AIR PERFORMANCE, REDEFINED.
Built with BMW Group engines, the John Cooper Works model will feature the most powerful engine ever installed in one of the brand’s production models. The 2.0- liter 4- cylinder engine was developed based on the latest generation of power units with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology. It generates a maximum output of 228 bhp and a maximum torque of 236 ft.-lbs., accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 5.9 Seconds (Manual: 6.1 seconds).
The car also features a sports exhaust, suspension technology refined with racing expertise and model-specific design features that not only optimize the car’s aerodynamic features, but also guarantee a fun and efficient ride emphasizing its exclusive charisma.
The new Convertible will go on sale in March 2016 at MINI dealers across the U.S., with the John Cooper Works variant becoming available in April.
The new MINI Convertible comes with an array of standard equipment, including:
– Six-speed manual transmission with rev-matching function
– MINI Connected infotainment system with 6.5-inch high-resolution display, third- ?party app support, Bluetooth audio streaming, and voice control
– Fully automatic folding convertible top including a slide-back sunroof feature, as ?well as a glass rear window with heating element
– Integrated rollover protection system
– Comfortable seating for four adults
– MINI logo projected as welcome light from driver-side mirror
– Leather-wrapped three-spoke multifunction steering wheel and gearshift lever
– Dual-zone automatic climate control
– Rain-sensing windshield wipers
– Keyless ignition
– 12-color ambient interior lighting
– 60/40 split-folding rear seats
– Carbon Black leatherette upholstery
– MINI Driving modes with Green, Mid, and Sport settings
– Automatic headlights
– Convertible top from the design-oriented MINI Yours line, incorporating iconic Union Jack flag through contrasting weaving with a herringbone stitch pattern.
– Malt Brown leather plus another eight available upholsteries
– MINI Yours interior surfaces in Fiber Alloy (featuring genuine aluminum), ?porcelain-inspired Off-White, and Dark Cottonwood matte-finish veneer ?PACKAGES: In addition to the standard equipment and a la carte options, several packages are available, including: ?
The new MINI Convertible also comes with a variety of optional features, including:
– Comfort Access keyless entry
– 410-watt harman/kardon Premium Sound System
– Heated front seats
– Satellite radio with 1-year subscription
– Lightweight folding wind deflector
– Auto-dimming rearview and driver-side mirrors, power-folding exterior mirrors with passenger-side curb protection by tilting downward when in reverse.
Sport Package – Cooper
– 16” alloy wheels in choice of design: silver Loop Spoke; silver Victory Spoke; black Victory Spoke; or upgrade to a 17” or 18” wheel
Full LED Headlights
– LED taillights
– Sport seats with leatherette upholstery
– Dynamic Damper Control adjustable suspension
Sport Package – Cooper S
– 17” alloy wheels in choice of design: two-tone Propeller Spoke; silver Cosmos Spoke; black Cosmos Spoke; silver Tentacle Spoke; orupgrade to an 18” wheel
– Full LED Headlights
– LED taillights
– LED Fog Lights
– Dynamic Damper Control adjustable suspension ?
– 8.8-inch high-resolution widescreen display
– Turn-by-turn navigation with real time-traffic information
MINI Connected XL with support for Journey Mate companion app, including Convertible Rain Warner feature, and the full MINI Connected app portfolio
– Rear-view camera and rear parking sensors ?