MINI to Produce 3 Door Beachcomber Variant?
Scott26 (or whatever name he’s going by today) has long been a great source of information for BMW fans. He works for the company and has insider information that is often on target years before a new model is launched. So that makes this new rumor Scott27 rumor all the more interesting to MINI fans.
As we have reported last May MINI is seriously considering putting a version of the Beachcomber into production in the coming years. But what form will it take? That’s where we pick up Scott27′s latest insider information. But one quick caveat before we get to that. The following is his opinion and not ours. While it seems very plausible (and we hope it’s correct) we know first hand how quickly product decisions can be made and then reversed. Now we turn it over to Scott27:
With the expansion set to continue with MINI we are looking at alternatives to widen out the MINI Brand with a new model expansion that will be inherited with the Countryman and the next generation MINI.
The beachcomber Concept was an idea to officially preview the Countryman in light of the MINI Crossover Concept.
The Problem with the Beachcomber is that not everybody is around sea and sand 24/7 especially for a five door concept. Whilst the Beachcomber is a practical solution for a surfer or triathlete and their friends , it does not sit well with the corporate image of having a five dr beach orientated vehicle.
A Solution once conceived in 2005 by the MINI design team is a 3dr more sport orientated activity MINI which is being looked at as a brother vehicle to the MINI Countryman. Using the Countryman’s platform but shortened and All4 four wheel drive drivetrain.
MINI Canyon is an idea that takes the formula as used with the MINI Coupe but translates that to a small Activity MINI , utilising 3drs and space for four.
Comparisons with the Land Rover Evoque are welcomed but MINI had this idea in 2005 and before that.
What is unique is the unusual “Origami” roof line that like the Evoque swoops down giving the car and extremely dynamic roofline which seperates two rear windshields , as shown here a full sized spare tyre is retained , but the design also utilises a luggage box built into the roof for extra flexibility. Aswell as removable roof panels which would make a Beachcomber more possible with this car.
The car is on the Design wall in Munich to decide how to further progress the MINI portfolio. And the overall look remains but the details will be brought into line with the other MINI family.
The proposal goes that if the MINI can spawn a Coupe Can the MINI Countryman propose a smaller 3dr activity Concept.
Official decision has not been taken but it looks likely that the MINI Canyon could become a reality. Although Canyon is the design project name it could retain the original title or use a classic MINI title or something new.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- World Premier: Refreshed 2015 MINI Countryman
- White Roof Radio #507
- MotoringFile’s Longterm JCW Roadster For Sale
- The 2015 MINI Clubman Hits the ‘Ring
- Exclusive: An Early Look at the 2nd Generation 2018 MINI Countryman
- MINI Final Final Test Drive Winner Announced
- White Roof Radio #506
- MotoringFile Review: The 2014 MINI Cooper Manual
- MINI’s Final Test Test Drive Videos are Up and They Are Hilarious
- (UPDATED WITH OFFICIAL STATEMENT) MINI USA Delaying all Cooper Deliveries Due to Defect
MotoringFile on Instagram
- BMW i3 Production Increases at Leipzig Factory
- Premier: BMW 228i Coupe with Track Handling Package
- BMW Investigating Building 3 Series Plant in North America
- BMW Team RLL Race Results at Long Beach
- BMW Team RLL Qualifies Second and Third at Long Beach
- Video: BMW M235i More Than a Bargain M?
- BMWi Video: The Carbon Fiber Journey
- World Debut: BMW X5 eDrive Concept
- BMW Voluntarily Recalls 156,137 Vehicles to Fix Variable Camshaft Issue
- Comparing the M235i to the M36 M3
- Three Houston Scooterists To Run the Cannonball for Cancer Charity
- Piaggio Group Worldwide Profits Plunged in 2013
- Opinion: Will the Vespa Sprint Hurt 946 Sales?
- Yamaha Unveils the Tricity 3-wheel Scooter
- Vespa Officially Announces the 2015 Sprint
- Video: A Baja Vespa Surf Adventure
- The Piaggio / Vespa Rumor Roundup
- Review: Hands-on With the Genuine Buddy 170i Brit Special Edition
- BMW Recalls C-Series Scooters Over Side Stand Switch Issue
- Review: 2014 Stella 125 Automatic First Ride
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range