MINI to Produce 3 Door Beachcomber Variant?
Scott26 (or whatever name he’s going by today) has long been a great source of information for BMW fans. He works for the company and has insider information that is often on target years before a new model is launched. So that makes this new rumor Scott27 rumor all the more interesting to MINI fans.
As we have reported last May MINI is seriously considering putting a version of the Beachcomber into production in the coming years. But what form will it take? That’s where we pick up Scott27’s latest insider information. But one quick caveat before we get to that. The following is his opinion and not ours. While it seems very plausible (and we hope it’s correct) we know first hand how quickly product decisions can be made and then reversed. Now we turn it over to Scott27:
With the expansion set to continue with MINI we are looking at alternatives to widen out the MINI Brand with a new model expansion that will be inherited with the Countryman and the next generation MINI.
The beachcomber Concept was an idea to officially preview the Countryman in light of the MINI Crossover Concept.
The Problem with the Beachcomber is that not everybody is around sea and sand 24/7 especially for a five door concept. Whilst the Beachcomber is a practical solution for a surfer or triathlete and their friends , it does not sit well with the corporate image of having a five dr beach orientated vehicle.
A Solution once conceived in 2005 by the MINI design team is a 3dr more sport orientated activity MINI which is being looked at as a brother vehicle to the MINI Countryman. Using the Countryman’s platform but shortened and All4 four wheel drive drivetrain.
MINI Canyon is an idea that takes the formula as used with the MINI Coupe but translates that to a small Activity MINI , utilising 3drs and space for four.
Comparisons with the Land Rover Evoque are welcomed but MINI had this idea in 2005 and before that.
What is unique is the unusual “Origami” roof line that like the Evoque swoops down giving the car and extremely dynamic roofline which seperates two rear windshields , as shown here a full sized spare tyre is retained , but the design also utilises a luggage box built into the roof for extra flexibility. Aswell as removable roof panels which would make a Beachcomber more possible with this car.
The car is on the Design wall in Munich to decide how to further progress the MINI portfolio. And the overall look remains but the details will be brought into line with the other MINI family.
The proposal goes that if the MINI can spawn a Coupe Can the MINI Countryman propose a smaller 3dr activity Concept.
Official decision has not been taken but it looks likely that the MINI Canyon could become a reality. Although Canyon is the design project name it could retain the original title or use a classic MINI title or something new.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- A MINI Helps A BMW Break A Guinness World Record
- MF Garage: Hard Choices
- MINI Responds to Rumors of Roadster & Coupe Demise
- MINI Tops J.D. Power’s SSIS for Fifth Consecutive Year
- MotoringFile Review: R56 JCW Tuning Kit
- Video: The Citysurfer Concept in Motion and Explained
- Parallel Parking World Record in a F56
- The History of the MINI JCW
- The MINI Story at the BMW Museum
- MINI at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
MotoringFile on Instagram
- The Next Germination Touch-Screen iDrive System Explained
- Video & Photo Recap of BMW at the LA Autoshow
- 2016 BMW 7 Series to Feature New iDrive with Touch Screen
- BMW & Tesla to Partner in Battery, Charging & Carbon Fiber Technology
- BMW Releases New Accessories In Time For the Holidays
- The BMW i3 Wins the Green Car of the Year Award
- Rumor: BMWi Developing Hydrogen Powered BMW i5
- The BMW X5M and X6M Debut in LA (Video)
- BMW ConnectedDrive Brings Spotify to BMWs
- Exclusive: Constrained Carbon Fiber Supply Slowing BMW i3 Production
- Video: One Vespa Leads To Another
- Video: The Vespa Joyride Exhibit Gets Sexy (slightly NSFW)
- The MINI Citysurfer Concept. Segway + Razor = Awesome!
- The New 2015 Vespa Primavera Touring
- 2015 Vespa GTS Gets ABS/ASC, Supersport, and New Touring Edition
- Videos: The Quadro4 Four-Wheel Scooter in Action
- Meet Quadro, the Swiss Tilting Scooter Company
- Piaggio Updates the MP3 500, Adds ABS/ASC
- Video: The E-Bike Piaggio
- The 2015 Yamaha SMax
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range