If you want the executive summary on the new F57 MINI Convertible and don’t want to read the pages of the office press release then look no further. We’ve pulled out the most important facts (still in PR speak unfortunately) that should give you the high-level facts on MINI’s latest model.
– New edition of the first convertible in the small car segment; change of generation in the model range of the tradition-steeped British brand is continued with the new MINI Convertible; open-top driving fun on four seats combined with optimized qualities in terms of sportiness, efficiency, comfort, functionality, safety, connectivity and quality of both materials and workmanship.
– Unmistakable exterior design; precise balance between top-class elegance and sporty flair; characteristic proportions with powerfully sculpted surfaces and a dynamically elongated silhouette; up-to-date interpretation of classic MINI design features: circular headlamps and rear lights with chrome surrounds, hexagonal radiator grille, black peripheral body surround, side turn indicator elements; large selection of body finishes including the variant Caribbean Aqua metallic presented here for the first time.
– High-quality textile soft top with fully automatic opening and closing mechanism as well as sliding roof function; also available as MINI Yours soft top with unique woven Union Jack graphic; opening and closing of the soft top and side windows in 18 seconds, also possible during travel at speeds of up to 18 mph; invisibly integrated rollover protection which extends automatically when required as a convertible- specific component of the integrated MINI safety concept.
– Increased dimensions of the new MINI Convertible as compared to predecessor model by 4.5 inches in length, 1.7 inches in width and 0.8 inch in height; longer wheelbase (+ 1.1 inches); larger track width (1.9 inches at the front, + 1.6 inches at the rear); optimized space comfort on all four seats; new front seats with larger adjustment range; more comfortable entry and longer seat surface for rear passengers; also more clearly emphasized single-seat character with optimized lateral support at the rear; luggage volume expanded by more than 25 percent to 7.6 ft3 with closed top and 5.7 ft3 with open top; standard trim includes rear backrest with split fold, enlarged through-loading facility and Easy Load function.
– Characteristic interior design with horizontally structured cockpit, circular or elliptical contours for displays, air vents and door trim elements as well as high- quality color and material combinations; display and operating concept including instrument panel on the steering column, central instrument with new functions, optional LED lighting display and red start/stop button at the center of the toggle switch bar in the lower section of the center console.
– Market launch of the new MINI Convertible with two engine variants; new engine generation with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology; 3-cylinder engine with 134 bhp in the MINI Cooper Convertible, 4-cylinder petrol engine with 189 bhp in the MINI Cooper S Convertible.
– Power transmission to the front wheels; 6 speed manual transmission as standard; 6- speed Steptronic automatic transmission as an option; 6-speed Steptronic sport automatic transmission with shift paddles at the steering wheel also available for MINI Cooper S Convertible; extensive range of MINIMALISM technology as standard; also standard are the MINI Driving Modes including GREEN mode for efficiency- optimized motoring.
– Typical MINI go-kart feeling due to suspension technology with model-specific set-up combined with wide track and long wheelbase; single-joint strut front axle and multilink rear axle with increased stiffness and reduced weight; speed-related Servotronic steering support and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) including Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and Electronic Differential Lock Control (EDLC) as standard; MINI Cooper S Convertible additionally with Performance Control; optionally available: Dynamic Damper Control: 15-inch or 16-inch light alloy wheels as standard, or sized up to 18-inch as an option.
– Highly rigid body structure with model-specific bracing elements for an agile driving response with maximum occupant protection; complete set of standard safety features with front airbags, head-thorax airbags integrated in the backrests, 3-point automatic belts on all seats, ISOFIX child seat mountings for the rear seat, tire pressure display and partially active engine compartment lid for optimum pedestrian protection; needs-based control of the restraint systems and rollover protection by means of centralized safety electronics.
– High-quality standard features including automatic soft top activation, central locking, a 6.5 inch display with MINI Connected and AUX-IN socket and USB interface, and automatic dual-zone climate control; customization with a large selection of exterior mirror graphics, bonnet stripes, seat upholsteries, interior surfaces and Color Lines as well as MINI Yours and John Cooper Works features.
– Innovative features available for the MINI Convertible for the first time: LED headlamps with LED daytime driving light and LED rear lights; adaptive light distribution and LED turning light; LED fog lamp; LED interior and ambient lighting; MINI Head-Up Display, Parking Assistant, Driving Assistant with camera-based active cruise control, collision and pedestrian warning with initial brake function, high beam assistant and road sign detection; rear view camera.
– For driving engagement, comfort and individual style, additional options include seat heating, Comfort Access, new wind deflector with reduced weight and simplified mounting, heatable and folding exterior mirrors, interior and exterior mirrors with automatic dip function, MINI navigation system and Wired equipment package including navigation system Professional with MINI Touch Controller.
– Complete MINI Connected in-car infotainment program; constantly updated selection of apps for integration in the car via smartphone; exclusive MINI functions such as MINI Streetwise, online search, Sports Instruments, Force Meter and rain warning function; MINI Connected XL Journey Mate with real time traffic radar; online-based services for the use of entertainment apps such as Spotify, Pandora, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, Audible, TuneIn and GoPro.
Engine variants (US market):
MINI Cooper S Convertible: 4-cylinder engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo
– Technology (turbo charging, direct injection, fully variable valve control, variable camshaft control),?- capacity: 1 998 cc, output: 189 bhp @ 5000 rpm, max. torque: 207 ft lbs @ 1250 rpm
– acceleration (0–60 mph): 6.7 seconds (manual: 6.8 seconds),?- top speed: 142 mph (manual: 143 mph).
MINI Cooper Convertible: 3-cylinder engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo
– Technology (turbo charging, direct injection, fully variable valve control, variable camshaft control),?- capacity: 1 499 cc, output: 134 bhp @ 4400 rpm, max. torque: 162 ft lbs @ 1250 rpm,?- acceleration (0–60 mph): 8.2 seconds (manual: 8.3 seconds)
– top speed: 128 mph.
– Length: 151.1 inches (MINI Cooper S Convertible: 151.9 inches)
– Width: 68 inches
– Height: 55.7 inches
– Wheelbase: 98.2 inches