Official MINI Cooper S Refresh Leaked
Earlier today we showed you a sneak peak at the 2011 Cooper, now it’s time to take a look at the Cooper S once again courtesy from our good friends at Bigblogg. We’ve already seen a few revealing spy photos of the car but these are the first official photos (leaked from a German magazine or German brochure) that show the car completely uncamouflaged.
In the previous post we saw Spice Orange (for the second time) and here we see the R57 Cooper S Convertible finished in Ice Blue.
As you might expect the front end seen here (on an R56) will be carried over completely to the Cooper S versions of the R55 Clubman and the R57 Convertible.
With this refresh comes new engines, new wheels, more steering feel, new colors (inside and out) and new packages. So far it’s a pretty compelling package in our eyes and definitely worth waiting for if you want a new MINI.
As has been mentioned many times over the past six months on MotoringFile, the 1.6L turbocharged powerplant at the heart of the Cooper S will thoroughly revised. Yes there’s more power, but lets focus on efficiency first. The R56 MCS will reach the similar if not the same mpg on the highway as the 122 hp Cooper thanks to the addition of Valvetronic. Not only does MPG go up but CO2 levels are only 3 grams off the Cooper (140 gm to 143) despite the turbo and the extra 60 hp. The MCS sees all the same updates that the Cooper gets but with the major addition of fully variable valve train (Valvetronic as BMW calls it) along with refinements of friction point throughout the engine. The result is an increase of around 10hp for approximately 182 hp (final US figures are forthcoming).
Valvetronic gives the Cooper S the ability to rev quicker, deliver more power yet achieve better miles per gallon. A win win by all accounts.
And that cold start issue on the R56 MCS? It’s eliminated with the new engine and the addition of Valvetronic.
You can see the entire list of engine specifications for all models of the 2011 Cooper S below. However keep in mind that these are European figures. US data has yet to be released.
- + MINI Cooper S PDF (03/2010)
- + MINI Cooper S Clubman PDF (03/2010)
- + MINI Cooper S Convertible PDF (03/2010)
The 2011 MINI will quite a few other small revisions such as xenon headlights that swivel with the steering and auto-dip passenger side mirror for parallel parking. We’ll be detailing more of the smaller changes soon however if you can’t wait you can find dozens of articles on many of the updates within the 2011 LCI section.
The new models will go on sale in September of 2010. Dealers and the online configurator should have information sometime in July or early August.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- International Mini Meet to Take Place in Lithuania This Weekend
- MF Garage: Summer Tires for Our 2015 Cooper S
- Exclusive: MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises
- The MINI JCW In Detail
- Chris Bangle on The Future of Car Design
- What Would You Change About the 2015 MINI JCW?
- 2015 MINI John Cooper Works Reviews Galore
- Official 2015 MINI JCW Mega Gallery
- Official 2015 MINI JCW Videos
- MINI Countryman Dakar Wallpaper
MotoringFile on Instagram
- BMW Unveils the Special Edition BMW 435i ZHP Coupe
- BMW Announces New ConnectedDrive Portal and ConnectedDrive Store
- The 2016 BMW M4 GTS is Coming to the US!
- A Sneak Peak at the Future of BMW Motorsport: The M6 GT3
- BMW Updates the M6 Competition Package with 600HP (w/Gallery)
- BMW Lands on the Podium at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- BMW Prepares for the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring
- BMW Group Classic’s Take on the 2015 Mille Miglia
- This is Our First Look at the BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage
- US Spec 2016 M3 Changes (LCI)
- Ask SF: What’s a Good Small Motorcycle for a Scooterist?
- Custom: The Hunter’s Honda Ruckus
- Review: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
- The EcoReco: We Want Your Questions
- Video: Four Friends, Three Vintage Vespas, One Epic Adventure
- Vespa Updates the GTV, Adds ABS and ASR
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range