MINI’s 2015 & 2016 Product Launches Revealed
MINI has a busy 24 months ahead of it. With the F56 rolled out and in showrooms, the brand can turn it’s attention to all the associated variants. But what gets released and when? Read on for the detailed list.
The F55 Five Door Hatch
The F55 is a car that many have been waiting for since the rumors of a four door MINI first surfaced over ten years ago. And it’s just weeks away from hitting dealer showrooms in Europe and the US.
- Cooper/Cooper S Start of Production: July 2014
- Cooper/Cooper S End of Production: June 2021
MINI USA is planning on releasing the F55 in Cooper and Cooper S variants at launch with the B36/B38 in the Cooper and the B46/B48 in the Cooper S
Check out the MotoringFile F55 section for more details.
The F56 JCW Hatch
The highlights here include 230 hp and torque over 255 ft lbs. But it’s the full package that MINI is focusing on – with an M car like philosophy. With weight around 2,800 lbs this would give the 2015 JCW the best power to weight ratio of any MINI ever – by healthy margin.
- JCW Start of Production: March 2015
- JCW End of Production: June 2021
For those who must know such things, the JCW engine code is B48A20O0 which is also the code used for the new BMW 225i Active Tourer.
For more on the F56 JCW, click over to the MotoringFile JCW section for more details.
The F54 Clubman
The Clubman will be a surprise hit for MINI for years to come. At least that’s our prediction having been hands-on with the concept. But it’s not just the packaging but the drivetrain options that make this one of the more interesting products MINI will release (and a sneak peak into what the Countryman will offer). The six door will be available in Cooper and Cooper S variants at launch next summer.
- Cooper/Cooper S Start of Production: July 2015
- Cooper/Cooper S End of Production: June 2022
Then things get interesting.
- Cooper/Cooper S ALL WHEEL DRIVE Start of Production: March 2016
- Cooper/Cooper S ALL WHEEL DRIVE End of Production: June 2022
Finally MINI will be releasing a US diesel variant with an engine designation of B47C20O0. That’s the same designation used for the Euro-spec Cooper SD. The 2.0-litre four-cylinder produces a healthy 266lb ft. (maximum torque is available from just 1500rpm) and 170 hp. That’s
On the UK cycle the Cooper SD gets an astonishing 70.6mpg. Expect something in the 40-50 mpg range from the EPA.
All wheel drive will not be available with the diesel.
Check out the MotoringFile F54 section for more details.
The F57 Convertible
The next generation MINI convertible will follow-up along the lines of the previous two. A duel stage roof and four seats, MINI doesn’t want to mess with a successful formula.
- Cooper/Cooper S Start of Production: November 2015
- Cooper/Cooper S End of Production: November 2022
Other than the hatch, the convertible is the only other MINI model we can confirm will be getting the full JCW treatment.
- JCW Start of Production: March 2016
- JCW End of Production: October 2022
We expect MINI to release the the new Countryman in 2017 with the same power train options seen above on the Clubman. The one option we will see but we haven’t listed here is the plug-in hybrid variant expected for the Countryman and Clubman.
The Superleggera Roadster we saw this year at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este will likely make production but not until 2017/2018. We expect it to take the place of the roadster and coupe with potentially a folding hard-top.
Finally there’s the larger crossover we keep hearing rumors about. We have no information on it at this time but expect something similar to BMW’s upcoming extended wheelbase 2 Series Active Tourer.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- Clarkson Is Gone, Long Live Clarkson
- MINI On The Mack Is Back
- Woofcast #545: I’d Rather Have A Moped
- Opinion: Coupe Confessional
- MINI USA Marketing and Pixels
- BMW and FTC Reach Settlement Over Warranty Service
- MINI USA And LAP Motorsports Set For CTSC Return At Sebring
- Exclusive: MINI USA Pulls Out of the NYC Auto Show
- MF Poll: Help Our Man Todd Choose The Right Car
- Official: Neither Superleggera or MINI Minor Confirmed
MotoringFile on Instagram
- Recommended Scooters from Just Gotta Scoot
- Kickstart This: Sit Stay Ride 2 – Sidecar Dogs Return
- Police in Barcelona Adopt Fleet of BMW C Evolution Electric Scooters
- New Illinois Law Could Require Motorcycle Awareness Training in Driver’s Ed
- Genuine Unveils New Roughhouse Titanium Special Edition
- AACA Museum Features “Motorbikes for the Masses”
- Piaggio Group Recalls 2,600 Vespas For Faulty Fuel Pumps
- Video: 2015 Vespa GTS 300 ABS Wins Midsize Scooter Shootout
- Two Tiny Vespas That Make a Big Impression
- Video: How to Ride a Vespa
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range