The MINI Clubman Concept in Video
The MINI Clubman concept has landed in Geneva. And while we’ve seen plenty of photos and heard all about the details we haven’t really given you a good look at the car until now.
The Exterior – what’s Concept and What’s Production?
If you’ve been following MF for the past year, nothing here should be a surprise. The size of the car (4223 mm, or 5″ longer than the Countryman) is key, as are the four forward-opening doors we’ve been telling you about. The front is taken directly from the F56 (with some concept bits added on for good measure) and the rear is 100% production with the exception of the latch.
One detail that is particularly interesting is the similarity of this concept to the design sketches we saw just before the F56 was released last year. If we had to guess (and make some slightly informed assumptions) we’d say that this might be an early look at the LCI (the “life-cycle refresh” or “impulse” in BMW-speak) for the F5X cars due out in 3-4 years. One key aspect of the design that gives this away is the attention to detail of the ducting around the front wheels. These create the air curtain (again BMW-speak) that improves airflow around the wheels to decrease drag. The amount of engineering that goes into something like this indicates that these are a feature we’ll see headed to production at some point.
What about the color? Our sources tell us that the unique color for the F55 won’t be the burgundy you see here, but a new dark blue called Lapisluxury Blue which looks very similar to the revised Rocketman concept blue from a few years back.
The Interior: What’s Concept and What’s Production?
The Clubman will carry over some of the F56 interior design but will tweak the overall look and functionality of the dash and center console. What we see here gives us some clues as to how that will eventually play out.
What about the rear and the legroom? We won’t have specific details, of course, until we see it in person but our sources have called it better than the R60 Countryman in every way.
We expect the F55 four door hatch to debut later this summer followed by the convertible in the spring of 2015. That would mean the Clubman concept you see above should hit dealers in production form in the latter half of 2015 as a 2016 model.
Check back for more on the F54 Clubman as we’ll have hands-on impressions and plenty more details in the coming days and months.
Written By: Gabe
Sort by MINI model
- Former Top Gear Hosts Heading to Amazon Prime
- MINI Needs Your Help Breaking A World Record
- MINI USA Announces Recall Affecting 2015 F56 Models
- MotoringFile Review: The 2016 F56 MINI JCW
- 2015 MINI JCW Press Event Day 2: High-Level Review
- 2015 MINI JCW Press Event Day 1: Introduction
- 2015 MINI JCW Press Event Day 0: Thank You Note
- MINI JCW Team at Lime Rock Park: Race Preview
- 2017 F60 MINI Countryman to Become More “Authentic”
- BMW Now Has a 250 HP Version of the B48. Will We See It in a MINI?
MotoringFile on Instagram
- BMW Group Announces the First Integration of EnLighten App
- The BMW M2 Option List Leaked
- Turner Motorsport Takes GTD Class Victory at Lime Rock
- Hands-on with the 2016 BMW 7 Series
- BMW Claims Overall Victory at the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps
- 7 Facts after 1,200 Miles in the BMW 428i Gran Coupe
- Report: Apple Will Use the BMW i3 to Build its Own Car
- New Details on BMW’s Pebble Beach Concepts
- Renting a Racer with the BMW 328i
- 2016 BMW 340i Uber Gallery
- Ask SF: Buy a Vespa GTS 300 Now, or Wait for the GTS 350?
- Video: The Mahindra GenZe Electric Moped
- Prima Tubeless Rims for Vespa / Stella
- Have Towel, Will Travel: A Vespa Adventure
- Review: Vespa Primavera 150 from Just Gotta Scoot
- Gogoro Electric Scooter on Pre-Order in Taiwan
- Recap: Amerivespa 2015 — Indianapolis, IN
- Scooter Vagabonding. Man Quits His Job, Rides Ruckus 30k Miles. (video)
- Change.org Petition Aims to Ban All Motorcycles In Hawaii
- Genuine Debuts New Buddy Color: Titanium Gloss
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R60: MINI Crossover
R61: MINI Crossover Coupe
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Five Door Hatch
F60: MINI Crossover
Advertise with MotoringFile
MotoringFile Buyers GuidesR50 ('02-'06 MC) Buyers Guide
R53 ('02-'06 MCS) Buyers Guide
'12 JCW Coupe
'11 Fiat 500 Sport
'11 Tesla Roaster 2.5 '11 Countryman Comparo
'11 Cooper S Hatch
'11 Countryman MCS (FWD)
'11 Countryman MC (auto)
'10 Mayfair MCS (auto)
'11 Countryman MCS (ALL4)
'10 MINI E
'10 Tesla Roadster Sport
'09 Cooper S Convertible
'09 JCW Hatch
'09 JCW Clubman
JCW Stage I vs JCW Stage II
'08 Clubman S (Auto)
1st Drive: '08 MINI Clubman
'08 Smart Fourtwo
Comparison: '08 BMW 135i
'06 R53 MCS vs '07 R56 MCS
'07 R56 JCW (Stage 1)
'07 MINI Cooper S Long Term
'07 BMW Z4 M Coupe
'07 MINI Cooper & Cooper S
Audio: '07 MC/MCS at the Track
'06 JCW GP Long term
Reader Review: JCW GP
'06 JCW Cooper S Long Term
Comparison: '06 Lotus Elise
Comparison: '06 Mazda MX5
Comparison: '06 UK Focus ST
Comparison: '06 Civic Si
Comparison: '04 TVR T350
Comparison: '06 Nissan 350z
Comparison: '06 VW GTI w/DSG
Podcast: Cooper S Auto
Podcast: BMW 325i
Podcast: JCW MC Soundkit
'04 JCW MINI Cooper Tuning Kit
'05 MCS: One Month Review
'05 MCS Auto
'05 JCW S 1st Drive
'05 MINI Cooper
'05 MCS Conv. Long Term
'05 MINI Cooper S
'05 MCS Cabrio 1st Drive
'04 JCW MCS First Drive
'04 MC w/JCW Tuning Kit
BMW M3 SMG Vs. MCS
'04 MINI Cooper CVT
'02 MCS 3 year Review
Autocrossing the MINI Range